Firebird RPM while idling

What is the recommended/best RPM when the car is idling or in park? I got a 1994 Pontiac Firebird (3.4 V6, automatic) and after I had my AC recharged, it's idling at around 1500 RPM, it used to idle at about 800

RPM. The mechanic said that the "computer is re-learning how to handle the AC and that I need to drive the car for a few miles". Is he right? How many miles is "a few miles". Is the car in any danger?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
darkeddie

When I bought my 95 also 3.4 auto the air did not work, I had the compressor rebuilt,system re-charged ( at a local REPUTABLE shop)

and never had the 1500 idle problem you had described.

Bought at 105k aug 03,currently 150k on it.

Stan

I could understand it needing to re-learn the system, if the brain or the tranny that was replaced,....but the ac comp?.

Reply to
BAD 4 GOOD