Fixing rust spots

Can someone give me some general advice on fixing rust spots. The paint on my 94 grand am is chipped in a few spots, and there is minor rust forming. If anyone could point me to a web site or give me some general steps to take to fix this myself it would be much appreciated.

Oh, and does anyone know how to find the exact colour of the paint on my car ? Is it printed on a lebel somewhere ?

Regards, Steve K

Reply to
Steve K

If the paint has pealed around the rusted area's that's know as paint delamination. And the effected area's need to be taken to bare metal. Primered with a sealer primer, then a sandable primer. sanded smooth, then painted.

The best way to remove rust for the average person is with a 3M Rust & Paint removial disk. Fits a 3/8's power drill. Just don't work an area too long. Then get some 180 grit sand paper, then 220, then 300 or 320 and feather out the edges, working further out with each finer grit.

Once sanded smooth, tape the area off, and primer. Sand down the edges, move the mask out a inch, sand the paint with 300 or 320, then primer with sandible primer. Make sure you apply thin even coats. Sand the edges smooth, make sure you have no low spots, then apply color coats.

Your car has a decal with a paint code on it, on a 1994 Grand Am I don't remember the areas they put the label. If you call an automotive paint supply house, they should be able to tell you where it's at. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give it a whirl next week.

Steve

Reply to
Steve K

It's "here is the paint on my car match it because it has been fading for the past 10 years"

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

The 94 grand Am's paint code should be:

In the trunk on the inside of the lid, or the spare tire cover.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Just wanted to add for small spots I use a fiberglass pen to remove the rust. It works well for paint chips also. And call around to the local paint supply stores, nowadays they can mix you up a quart and put some of it into a aerosol spray can for you if you don't have a paint gun and air compressor.

Reply to
null