fog lights

2003 GP... factory fog lights are a waste of time... any advice on replacement bulbs?

Thanks...

Ba

Reply to
Barry

How about a couple of flash lights:)

Reply to
Someone

How about turning the frigging things off while driving in traffic!?!

Reply to
InjunRAIV

They are not meant to actually be used. They shine about

20' in front of the car and are good for no more than 10 mph. They are ornamental.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

A lot of people do not get the idea behind these lights.

The primary purpose is NOT so the driver can see better. The purpose is so OTHER driver's can see your car more easily. This is why they are called "daytime running lights".

Studies show that they work for this purpose, hence the insurance policy discount most insurers issue to owner's of cars equipped with them. And, since we know that insurance companies don't give out discounts arbitrarilly, there is likely some substance behind the statistics.

If you are frustrated because you can't see the road ahead of you any better, it reveals that you have no idea what they were designed for. If you want a true "fog light" you most certainly can replace the bulbs with a bulb designed for this purpose, but to think that GM dropped the ball with the original design of the daytime running lights is naive at best, and downright ignorant at worst.

While it is a sad commentary in general, making an effort to be MORE visible to other drivers is a good thing.

Reply to
TSC

since when are driving lights used as drl? two completely different things.

Reply to
M.C. Tee

"TSC" wrote in news:VPEOe.35444$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Maybe I did not make myself clear... I am speaking about those two smaller, inset lamps clearly labeled fog lamps, and referred to in the owner's manual as fog lamps. Daytime running lamps (drl) are a totally different system altogether... actually they are the low beams at reduced brightness.

I hardly feel it is ignorant to expect lamps called 'fog lamps' to actually function as such. I hale from Wales, UK, and am more than familiar with fog and fog lamps!

Now back to my original question... is there a pull and replace bulb which will work? If the vector is truly down to about 20' front it seems the ports would be adaptable. Anyone done this yet?

Thanks again

Reply to
Barry

yes you can replace with brighter bulbs

Reply to
M.C. Tee

FOG lights and DRLs are totally different animals. The FOG lights on my TranSport are purely cosmetic - and would be useless regardless what bulb you put in them.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

You are totally wrong. Fog lights are not drl's.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

It has been tried on a number of GP and GA's. Unfortunately the housing is cheap plastic and melts with anything more than the original wattage. Check here:

Stern is somewhat caustic but he knows automotive lighting andis one of the best. Leave him an email at his site or a question atrec.autos.tech =2E

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Thanks for this informative reply! I get it... I might look at adding a bar beneath and locating fogs there... otherwise... sool!

Barry

Reply to
Barry

Yup. I gotta eat crow on this one. Not sure why I had it in my head that the original poster was talking about DRLs. Probably because a high percentage of people that complain about their fog lights REALLY mean their DRLs.

Apologies to the group.

Reply to
TSC

"TSC" wrote in news:9gROe.35603$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Easy mistake to make... no problem! Looks like I will not have real fog lights on my beauty. God... if I had this car in Wales it would turn every head! Of course I couldn't get it down half of the streets. lol

Ba

Reply to
Barry

Yup. It reminds me of ... me. It's probably best that I don't keep track of my own crow eating episodes. :)

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

A lot of people on ClubGP replace the stock fog lights with aftermarket lights that use upgraded wiring and H3 bulbs. These are simple to install (I did it on my 2000 GTP) and put out a lot more light than the stock units.

Pilot CyberWhite 602W Blazertech 2200

Do a search on the ClubGP.com forums and you'll get all the info you need.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Zabolotzky