front wheel problem

I run in to the curb with an angle, and now when I drive and tries to let go of the stearing wheel, the car starts to turn left... and when I drive over

80km/h the car shakes badly.... can anyone tell me base on 55CDN dollars an hour, how much would it cost? how big is the job? can it be done within few hours?
Reply to
BW

Depending how bad it is. Just a simple realignment, maybe an hour or so. If your tire is considerably way out of alignment, expect to pay more.

Reply to
Mike

you possibly could of bent the rim, depending on how hard the curb was hit...also depending on the type of rim you have it could cost big bucks....

Reply to
WHO??

What kind of car? The lightweight GMs like the Cavalier and Sunfire have a very "soft" front end - hitting a curb can easily cost you $2000. If you are lucky you only bent a tie rod, throwing your toe-in off. More likely you have bent a lower control arm, and quite possibly a strut and or knuckle. Worse case, you have shifted the frame crossmember and bent either it or the unicoupe, or both.

My brother does a lot of alignment work for the GM dealer body shop, and it's incredible how much damage can be done by an impact with a curb that does NOT damage the tire or rim.

Get yourself a set of good, narrow ice and snow tires on steel rims to give you good traction in the sloppy stuff. The wide tires should be OUTLAWED for winter use - regardless what kind of tread they have. The good snow tires (set of 4) are one of the best investm,ents you will make if driving in snow country. A whole lot less than that front end repair, I'm sorry to say.

Reply to
clare

Paul, the pull to the left is the big clue - this is NOT just a bent rim (if the rim is bent at all). The fact there is no shake at low speeds leads me to believe it is NOT a bent wheel. The altered caster/camber/toe causes a shimmy at speed, as well as a severe pull.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
Paul

It could be the rim bent. I had a similar problem. Try to swap the front wheel with any other form the back. If the rim is bent, the noise will be heard from the back

Reply to
Raf

When I suggest tires balance option to original poster because it is an inexpensive and is part of the trouble shooting process in attempt to determine wheel shaking problem. I did neglect to mention that one should check for rim out-of round which could be the case if someone is ran over the curb. This rim out-of-round verification may not be noticed by someone who is just doing tire balance job. A special setup may be required (using a dial gauge). Once this is done and everything is within spec, I would check for excessive tire play (assuming the original poster did not have this problem before the accident) and pay close attention to wheel bearing, tie-rod-end or anything that moves. As far to pull to the left problem, in my view it can only be solved by good quality wheel alignment. This type of work must be done by specialize shop like frame alignment (not a small garage) where they can look at suspension, bushings and frame.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

There are MANY small garages around with good alignment racks and qualified mechanics to operate them. I'd trust the job to a good independent over a dealer shop any day. As for the out of round on the rim, it is VERY easy to check on any off-car balancer, as is the out of true.

Reply to
clare

First, I'd like to thank you so much for all your inputs. I am very surprise and happy to received so many responds, for I never expected to have so many replies.

The rim under the driver seat was bent. I replaced the rim and the car didn't shake any more. However, I've been hearing some wired noise from my car that I am sure did not exist before when I go on the highway... (Around

80km/h)...

I will get some specialize to check it out for me.

Once again, thank you very much

Britney

Reply to
BW

What would happen if you drive 100 Km would the noise change or go away? What if at 80+ Km you place the gear selector in Neutral (do this when there is no car infront or behind you please), would the noise go away?

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
Darryl