Funky wiper motor movement?

Wife called today. The windshield wipers stopped working. All settings but high produce nothing. High produces quick 3" movement up and down .. Is the motor gone?

Reply to
clevere

Ah, little clue on the lkind of car???? 3 wheels or 4?

Reply to
Craig Watts

Reply to
clevere

Thank you for that reply and sorry for blasting you a bit. It always pays to post the most info you can on a certain subject.

I owned a White Pontiac 1994 Grand Prix and ran up to 175,000 miles on it. Very good car for me.

One day my windsheild winpers started acting goofy. Everytime I took a right hand turn they would turn off. In a binding rain I would be blinded for a good 5 to 10 seconds. Shortly after GM sent to me a product recall notice. Guess what? The bundled wires going up the turn signal stem were wrapped too tight and were braking.

I was able to drive my car to the closest dealer and they performed the service for free. Took off the sterring wheel and turn signal and replaced a bunch of stuff. No charge at all.

Hope this helps.

Craig Watts

Reply to
Craig Watts

Thanks Craig, that's always been preformed on this car. I pulled the motor out, and tested the linkage. It's ok. Going to test the motor tonight and see what's up with it. It seems VERY VERY stiff.... Almost like the bearing are gone.

Reply to
clevere

If it jerks 3" without rolling all the way around the gears have got to stripped or otherwise disengaged, right? The parking feature extends the wipers that "extra" bit to the bottom, so it may have gotten hosed instead of the gears. Have fun taking it apart, it's already shot.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks Joe. I discovered it was the motor a couple of days ago.. seems something is stripped on the inside of the motor. I'd love to take her apart, but the auto parts store wants it in trade :)

message

Reply to
clevere