Gas Prices a big scam

Right. And the next time you buy a vehicle buy one that gets a few more miles-per-gallon than your last one. We can't fix a decade old problem overnight. It will take some time.

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

Oil company profits this last 3 months could of built 3 new high tech refinery's

Reply to
Tim & Linda

You are mostly right. A day of boycott would only be helpful if it raised awareness of the problem. And WE are a big part of the problem, and need our awareness raised.

The oil companies have made record profits, no doubt. That is clear in Exxon's most recent financials. (When this has happened in the past...and it HAS happened in the past.... the majors have their accountants working nights trying to find ways to diminish the appearance of the windfalls. The publicity can be unpleasant..)

But we dont control the oil companies. We can only control how we plan and how we respond to increasing energy costs.

Our daughter just HAD to have a new SUV, even though we tried to tell her that it was perhaps not the wisest choice. At $3.00 per gallon, her budget will now have a stake in her energy education.

Reply to
<HLS

Today the price for petrol in the Netherland became 5.828 euro's per gallonabout 7.50 USD! 62% is taxes...

So yu still have a long way to go in the US! :-)

Reply to
Frans

In Norway, we hit US $7 per gallon today, and are expecting $9 in the very near future. More than 80% of our gas price is taxes. There are two reasons why we pay so much... The primary reason is that we pay for the cost of the pollution we cause by burning that gas. The secondary reason is that the huge rise in the oil consumption of the USA, China, and India, is pushing global oil prices up.

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Isn't the real price the amount that comes out of your wallet? Some of my European cousins have indicated their situation at the moment as well. Sure, excessive tax levels (stealth taxes) do hike up the prices but how long will it be before Mr Bush sees this in the same way as our nice men :-) in government office as an easy hit to fill up the federal coffers? Earlier notes in this thread indicate a larger increase curve in the petrol prices in the US over the last 24 months than any time in the last ten years. Is this just because the price of the raw product has increased or is there also an increase in the amount of tax levied by your nice men :-) in government office? I think its the thin edge of the wedge for the US citizens.

We are all now massively relient on this material called Gasoline so much so that the UK was brought to a virtual stand still by a handfull of transport operators (Truck Drivers)not so long ago expressing the whole view of the UK in protest to fuel prices. If we can't travel, we can't work. If we can't work, we can't pay our mortgages.

Bottom line, they can stick it too us as much as they like and until we cannot actually afford the stuff, the prices will keep rising. Then the prices will have to reverse as the industry will be threatened.

My appologies as I dismount my high horse !!

Reply to
Les CLayton

I bet your 401(k), retirement plan or mutual funds in your IRA are benefiting from the oil profits.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

We all learn the hard way when we're young!

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

and today on seame usd conversion it is 7.70 USD/gallon

They expect 9.usd / gallon by the end of trhis month here in The Netherlands

one 'good' thing is that the Dutch government is now trying to get a change in the tax system and 'freeze' the amount of tax on the fuel so that if the base price increases the end user price wil increase by the same amount istead of even more...

Most of the price >Frans writes:

Reply to
Frans

Reply to
Steve Rabinowitz

It is what you pay at the pump though. It is what can't avoid paying if=20 you want you car moving. And it is closer to 70% by the time you include the fuel duty(another=20 kind of tax) and the tax on the fuel duty. Yes, that is right, we have tax on fuel, another kind of tax on fuel,=20 and a tax on the other kind of tax. Aren't we the lucky bastards. And=20 yes, each government, from both sides has either froze, or put up the=20 tax and duty since I can remember. Neither of them have reduced it=20 significantly.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

The "scam" is not where you think it is. It is in the NYSE futures trading for fuels. Reagan opened the energy market up for trading of future in 1984 and the last few year profit seeker have been "circling" on them looking for profit from supply problem (it started when Bush went into Iraq). When the storm hit New Orleans and shut down rig and refineries. The future traders went nutz and in 2 days drove the price of september delivery gas (the price distributors pay to buy the gas) from 2.05 to 2.90 a gallon. Oct gas trading has cooled a bit and after peaking at about 2.50/gallon it is now 2.35. Also unless the american public greatly changes their habits and what they drive, you can forget about under 2 dollar gas and by this time next year $3 a gallon may sound like a steal. Oil companies are not angle here but it is the futures traders that are realy feeding this frenzy. Anybody that buy a new 12 MPG SUV today better plan on spending 300 to 600 a month or more to feed it. Me I have better thing to spend my month on than to make a double car payment (car payment plus gas payment)

Reply to
SnoMan

Half is not tax by a long ways. about 15 to 20% in most states of $3/gal and where do you think the money comes from to fix and build roads and interstates systems? Also it would take a LOT more than a one day boycott of oil to have any impact at all because there is no glut on the market. Consumption is up 25% since 9/11 (about 25 million barrels a day now) and about 60% in imported and by 2020 i will be 80% or more. In the next year or two tops the demand for oil will exceed the abilty to pump it out of the ground unless everyone everywhere starts using it wiser. The writing in on the wall, you can heed it or ignore it, the choice is yours.

Reply to
SnoMan

We are sticking it to ourselfs with a wastefull energy uses. The industry will not reverse course because it is a limited commodity and the supply will get more scarce as time marches on in coming years. You have a choiceadapt to it and drive a 30mpg car instead of a 12mpg SUV or keep your head and the sand and pay through the nose to drive a gas hog because fuel will never be cheap again and it will likley see $4/gallon by the end of 2006. The worst is yet to come.

Reply to
SnoMan

"80 Knight" wrote in news:yqKdnai0h snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

I dont see the logic in that. one day isnt going to do crap when everyone buys gas the next day to make up for it...

Reply to
Ript

What a lunatic. We car drivers have to bite the bullet and fill our gas tanks - that is the bottom line. When, where and how is still all the same. If you are unhappy - start riding a bike.

Reply to
Jan

Why do you think we are here in America? Because they left England to escape taxes. But that didnt last long did it? Right back in the same boat.

Reply to
Pete Piper

built

Actually there has been some refineries built and one corperation is trying to build on using high sulpher oil that other refineries do not want (it is cheaper to by but cost more to refine). Every drop of the Alaskan oil has gone to Japan since day one because it has a higher sulpher content and is not as profitable for US refineries to use. If they tap the AWNR in AK it will go to China or Japan to and not a drop will get here (Bush does not tell you that) because of same sulpher problem. The days of cheap oil is over and if you are holding uout for cheap gas, do not hold your breath. I look for it to be $4/gallon in US by next fall.

Reply to
SnoMan

I totaly agree, my next bike is going to be a 250cc, or less...

Reply to
Ript