Gas tank sending unit (help)

I have a 2000 Pontiac Montana and every time the gas gets down to about 1/4 tank full the readind on the dash gauge starts to read anywhere from 1/4 to full. Is the sending unit the problem or is it something else. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dog

My vote goes to the sending unit as the most likely suspect.

Here in Canada, GM had a rash of sending units go bad & give 'false high' readings a number of months ago.

GM blamed the refiners (notably Shell) for allowing elemental sulfur into their gasolines.

The Oil companies blamed GM for having easily corroded (silver?) contacts inside the sender.

Most consumers blamed them both. Grab the DMM and shop manual to be sure.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts