Getting some pinging underload

97 GA 3.1 113k miles. I have started getting some pinging under excelleration. Using Hi Test gas will elliminate it but I like using low or mid grade because of price. I used to be able to use low test with out the ping, any ideas what caused the change. The pinging just started a month or so ago. Does the cold weather have anything to do with it?
Reply to
Popeye Sailor..US Navy

Well you got colder denser air going into there. Something is still causing a problem though. Those 3.1's are not a high compression engine.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Check the EGR. No EGR will give you a ping at part throttle.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
Jebadiah Springfield

Isn't the formulation of winter gas different than during other times of the year? Have you tried a different brand? I have a tendency to be suspect of some gas, I mean how can we tell if their octane is really what they say it is? Isn't it possible someone made a mistake and mixed up some low octane with what was supposed to be high? Also, carbon buildup can cause preignition, there are various products/methods to help clean the engines's top end but while many have reported success with same some have also said the pinging came right back. Some GM mechanic posted on one of the ng's about torn down engines in the northern US during winter exhibit a lot more carbon buildup.

because

Reply to
Markeau

A 97 is OBD2 so a scanner will tell you. It has an electric feedback EGR.

Reply to
clare

Premium gas eliminates the ping, I have tried different brands, sometimes goes away with midgrade gas sometimes comes back. Its not excessive but can become annoying at times.

Reply to
Jebadiah Springfield