GM (AC Delco) Car Stereo Red Display Faded

I recently purchased a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire with a factory AM/FM/CD/Tape stereo that has a red LCD display. The display is faded on the right half -- the left hand side is very bright, whereas the right hand side is barely readable.

I live in Ontario, Canada, where the temperatures are quite brutally cold in the winter. The technician at the dealership where I purchased the car explained that the 2000-ish stereos weren't designed with components that were intended to be subjected to such an environment and that this was the cause of the defect.

Now, I don't know how much truth there is in that story, but I guess that it is believable. He assures me that GM is aware of the problem (apparently there were many complaints at the time) and that this has been addressed in later models.

Can anyone tell me if this is accurate? Also, is there a fix, short of replacing the display (at my cost, of course)? The dealership has promised me a replacement stereo as a condition on the sale, but if I can fix it myself, I'd like to keep the stereo that I have. I rather like it, and they can't guarantee me an exact replacement model.

Thanks for any insight, folks.

Reply to
DC