GM Quality?

Hi All,

Im looking for some unbiased input. I have a '91 Grand Prix which I have driven for the past 12 years as my main car. Over all I'd say it has been a good dependable car. Other than a head gasket issue I had at 75k repairs have not been very expensive and most I have been able to do my self. Currently its at 155k and running great however I am entertaining thoughts of getting into a newer car. I don't want foreign, Ford or Chrysler. Not that I'm putting down these cars or their quality its just I have always loved my GM cars. All this talk of intake gaskets and poor GM quality has gotten me discouraged! I like to think the newer cars get the better the quality. My '91 has been a hell of a lot better car than the "76 caddie I had prior. As you can see I don't get a new car very often so I be sure to get something I really like. Other than the fact they don't offer a 2 door on the '04 Grand Prix's I do really like them and thats what I'm leaning towards.

I would love some Input on GM quality on their newer cars. Maybe I should start looking at Honda's....EEEEWWWWW!

Tom

Reply to
Thomas

Wait for 2006 models, All new V8 engines in Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, and the Grand Prix GTP. 300 HP 335 TQ.

Two new 3.5 and a 3.9V6 engines will also be offered in base models. Currently they are in the 2005 Buick LaCrosse.

2005 is the last year for the 3800.

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 301,521 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

I had a '91 SE sedan... other than the rear brake issues (common W-body problem, caliper pistons froze open, causing the front brakes to do all of the stopping), that was a great car... put 35k miles on it in one year (job), bought it with 20k and sold it at 120k 5 years later...

Wife had a 2001 GTP sedan. Other than the common fan-speed resistor board going, and some dealer idiocy regarding an HVAC issue, the car was bulletproof for 3 years and 39k miles.

If you don't want to wait for the 2006's, as Harry suggested, I'd look for a used 2001-2003 Grand Prix (older bodystyle than the current gen - the newer one looks unattractive to me, and the back seat is a problem area (uncomfortable seat - not sure how applicable this is to you).

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

I appreciate your input and advice. I don't really want to take a gamble and I think thats what I would be doing. If I wait for the new engines for 2006 who's to say they are any better if not worse. They haven't stood the test of time. Not wanting to buy a car thats already

3 or 4 years old is why I was considering an '04. Has the General addressed and corrected the gasket problems in the GEN III 3800 which I think over all is a good engine. I just want years and years of trouble free driving. This really sucks I have to feel this way and have considered leaving my favorite car manufacturer.
Reply to
Thomas

The Series III 3800's are great engines. (I just wish they went with a "coil over plug" design.) The upper intakes have been changed from plastic to aluminum and the gaskets have been improved uppon but the gaskets werent much of an issue with the 3800's to begine with. The plastic intake up near the throttle body was just to dang thin and brittle.

(Which is why I am currently working on a new guide for repairing those so coolant is no longer routed through the Throttle body passage but rather through stainless tubing.)

I dont see how you can go wrong with a Series III. However if you are wanting something with better gas mileage, an Ecotec with a manual trans would be a good choice as well. Those engines, like the 3800, are based off an old tried and true design.

When the series II came out (95-96) and when it started showing problems it took about 3-4 years (average of 15k-20k miles a year) before the problem was commonly showing up and most people dont put that kind of mileage on a car. Once the EGR problem was figured out GM actually did move pretty fast, for a corporation its size, to do some redesigning for the 1999 models I beleive. If I was wanting to splurg on a new Grand Prix with a series III I wouldnt be at all worried with the powertrain.

Btw my feelings on GM's 60deg V6's (2.8, 3.1, 3.4, now 3.5, 3.9) are pretty negative... These engines are a pain in the butt to work on and are sometimes double or tripple the cost in labor over a 3800 if there is a problem. Once the 3800's are phased out there probably wont be a v6 coming from GM I'll like anymore... Just v8's and inlines.

Reply to
Bon·ne·vil

[...]

Lil Rascal

[...]

tj