GM V6 Engine Warning - True Sad Story (Long)

Lesson Learned : Check engine for coolant leak if you own a 1996-2003 GM vehicle with either a 3.1L or 3.4L V6 engine. Your engine may self-destruct without warning!!!

I have a 1997 Venture with a dead 3.4L V6 engine (37,000 mi). Two weeks ago, the engine abruptly died while vehicle is running. Prior to that, there was no sign that anything was wrong. No engine overheat, check engine light, fluid on the ground etc., the only incidence was a lit "low coolant light" and a re-fill with Dex-Cool. After a tow to the dealer, I was informed that I would need a new engine installed for $5200. The problem was that coolant had leaked into the engine via the intake manifold gasket, which seized up the bearings causing the camshaft to break. I immediately contacted GM Customer Assistance, thinking that the mileage is too low to have required engine replacement and coolant has started leaking long before the warranty end. After pleading for help and leaving many messages on un-returned phone calls, I was told a week later that GM CANNOT render any help (even though the 4 yr/50000 mi warranty expired out of time but not of mileage). The only and FINAL "help" came from the dealer dropping the price to $4500.

I shopped around, talking to local repair shops and did some research. One repair shop told me that they did 2-3 vehicles a week with this coolant problem. Most had intake manifold replaced for hundreds of dollars, but quite a few had engine blow-ups just like me. If you look up this web site

and this
youwill see the extent of the problem and not be surprised. This problem iswide spread for all GM cars and vans from 1996 to 2003 with the 3.1L or 3.4Lengine. The GM Technical Service Bulletin # 03-06-01-010(http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/Artemis/Public/TSBs/2003/SB-10001282-8175.pdf) lists the vehicles affected. Because of the problem, currently 3640GM customers have signed a petition
) to recall theseengines, and the number of signiture is growing on an average of 10 a day.BUT, still GM is in DENIAL.

While shopping around, I find that I can buy a brand new GM Goodwrench engine from GMPP for $2000 and have it installed for about $1100. So I think the GM dealer still makes a handsome profit with its last offer. Their priority was apparent when they refused to release the vehicle unless I pay them $45 for the work they did: say maybe 10 minutes of labor to check compression in two cylinders? They said they did me a favor by not charging $90.

Now the Venture is sitting in a repair shop waiting for a used engine to be put in (for $2900). It will come with a 1 yr. warranty. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the used engine to work. I will get the dead engine back for autopsy and future claim against GM. Another GM car I had, a Grand Am with the 3.1L engine (36,000 mi) had the intake manifold gasket replaced by dealer a few months ago under warranty (surprise !!, surprise !!! the "low coolant light" turned on this one too). Now that I've learned how this engine can self-destruct without notice, I have quickly traded-in the Grand Am for another vehicle. Just imagine being caught with sudden engine failure on a busy freeway scares the hell out of me. I have owned exclusively GM vehicles in my household for at least the past 25 years. So with the one of my three GM cars now gone for good (you didn't expect me to replace my Grand Am with another GM car did you? the other cars will soon follow), a perfect example in the making of how GM is losing market share.

Hopefully, GM will one day WAKE UP and start taking care of its customers. You have to question the wisdom of a company when it is willing to give $4000 incentive to sell a vehicle but unwilling to spend a single penny to retain a faithful customer. Furthermore, given the extent of the problem, any responsible company would have recalled these engines already

TRUE story but SAD to see a great company seeking its own destruction.

- Please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@angelfire.com for any questions or comments (remove abc from name for real email address)

Reply to
DL

I looked at this website and the only thing I can say is if these people would learn to pop their hoods and check their coolent levels they would have noticed a coolent loss and could of prevented most if not all the damage that had occurred to their engines by having this taken care of. I mean if your bottle is low or becoming low over a few miles and theres nothing on the ground that should tell you something! I guess these vehicles didnt have idiot lights on the dash for low coolent.

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

By the time you notice a loss of coolant, the intake manifold gasket has already broken. Gasket replacement typically costs $700 or more at GM dealers.

(http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/Artemis/Public/TSBs/2003/SB-10001282-8175> > .pdf) lists the vehicles affected. Because of the problem, currently3640

Reply to
DL

Longer version of my reply

By the time you notice a loss of coolant, the intake manifold gasket has already broken. After that, no amount of coolant you add can fix this problem. Coolant will enter the engine until it breaks. You can replace the broken gasket for about $700, but it will fail again. In fact, I stopped at the nearest store to top off the coolant as soon as the low coolant light turned on. That did not help. GM owner manual tells you to take the vehicle to service if you have to add coolant more than 4 times a year. The intend of this post is to help people be aware of this problem. No ill will against GM. Only GM can fix this engine for good and it should.

(http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/Artemis/Public/TSBs/2003/SB-10001282-8175> > > .pdf) lists the vehicles affected. Because of the problem, currently> 3640

Reply to
DL

By the time you notice the level is low and continues to loose antifreeze, the damage for the most part is already done. I had the intake manifolds replaced immediately at the dealer after noticing the coolent loss. The dealer 'refused' in writing to quarantee or take any responsibility for any damage to the engine already caused thru this obvious design flaw. The car ran for another 10k before the engine seized even after checking the fluid levels weekly. It was a '95 GA 3.1 and I was quoted 3500$ to replace the engine. I said screw that and bought a new car at a new dealer... lesson learned.

Reply to
kato

A well known and documented problem. If affects all years of that block design, not just the 3.1 or 3.4 and not just 96-03.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?Pa=BAul=20=3Cpy=AAats=40texxxas=2Enet=3E?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?Pa=BAul=20=3Cpy=AAats=40texxxas=2Enet=3E?

Continue to carefully monitor dropping coolent level and raising oil level very closely... like twice weekly.

Reply to
kato

"Larry Winkler" wrote

From what I see in the shop, Larry....it's not a matter of "if" but "when" the intake gasket leaks. I've often done 2-3 of these repairs a day. One of our techs recently did 12 of them in a row. If I were you, I'd simply find out what it will cost you to do the job properly in your area and start saving your money.

Make sure they use the updated gasket and bolts, and change your oil immediately after the repair is performed and before they start the engine after the repair is performed. As another poster said, monitor your coolant level, (check the rad, don't just check the overflow....unless you have a pressurized overflow) and monitor your oil level.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yeah I dont trust any engine that I cant see and touch all the injectors on. V90 deg car engines are all I'd want to own.

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

I'm pretty sure the 3800 isn't 90deg. And I can see and touch all my injectors.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Oh! *grins* Shows how much attention I've paid to its design. :-) Thanks for pointing that out my friend.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

I've got the 3.4 in a '99 GA that had the intake gasket leak around the 60k mark. Had the dealer replace it and haven't had any problems since. Would it hurt the engine to change from the Dex-cool to the regular coolant? TIA

DM

Reply to
MBVLINK

Alright so I don't know everything about the 3800. :-) The engine didn't appear here until 1989, so knowing its origins is pretty much out of the question.

And in the Fiero's case you could only see three plugs, the other three were facing the firewall. Commodores you can see all six though! :-)

Nick.

wrote

=?x-user-def> > > > Yeah, I doubt if I will ever buy a GM 60 degree engine.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

"Nick Trounson" wrote

Hey, no problem....I find it hard to believe that any one of us could possibly know everything about anything. I learn new things on these newsgroups all the time.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yeah, what is it with GM and lopping off cylinders? I mean other mfgs.are guilty of the same, but with GM it seems to be their first choice. They had that little 4 cylinder in the Chevy II that was an inline 6 with 2 cylinders lopped off. On the tempest, they cut a what, 326 or 389?, V8 in half, long ways. And then the aforementioned V6's. They even did it on carbs, who can forget the infamous front half of a QuadraJet, the "DualJet"?

wrote

=?x-user-def> > > > Yeah, I doubt if I will ever buy a GM 60 degree engine.

Reply to
Lee Richardson

That's what I was thinking. As long as they don't try converting them to diesel.

Reply to
TJ 727

Lol thats true.

Reply to