Grand AM door lining

Could you tell me please how to remove the front driver side door lining on a 97 Pontiac Grand AM SE? I can't follow the Haynes manual because it covers so many models and I can't find all the attachment screws.

Reply to
Gil Cleeton

I tried removing mine to replace to PW motor. I couldnt figure out how to get it off so I took it to a shop. Sort of glad I did because my understanding is the srews that hold the motor on are hard to get to.

Reply to
Mayor Quimby

I only want to retrieve the mirror adjusting button which I foolishly pushed into the door Anybody tell me how to remove the door panel please? Gil

Reply to
Gil Cleeton

It can be a little tough: there are hidden screws and parts that need to be snapped out. You just have to poke around and figure it out.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Typically GM uses a series up push in fastners that run around the outer edge of the door panel on three sides. The fastners twist into the back of the door panel ( which may be cardboard ) the tapered stud end presses into the steel frame of the door. These fasteners are removed with a tool known as a " Fork " available at most auto parts stores. The V slot shaped opening in the fork goes around the stud and when you pry outward it pops it out of its hole. Other prying methods using screwdrivers or something else usually results in tearing the fastners out of the back of the door panel, sometimes damaging the cardboard to the point the fastners will no longer go back in the back of the doorpanel. You need to slide the fork in behind the door panel, slide it around till you find a fastner then back out a bit and try to hook the slot of the fork around the tapered stud.

Next, you may see some screws around the trim plates, or in the armrest depression where your finger slip into when you close the door. You may see some 1 inch or deeper holes bored into the door panel that may also hold a recessed screw.

Some door panel, use snap in parts for trim plates, window button pods, etc.. If you have a seat belt going into the door then the trim for that would most likely need removing too.

Typically the door panels are hooked tt the top of the door, some snap in and need a good jerk to get them released.

Once you got the door panel off then you will have to unplug all the electrical connectors for the power windows, mirrors, door locks, seats, speakers, etc..

If your going inside the door then the plastic water sheild will have to be peeled off.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,033 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Forgot to mention that the mirror adjuster, at least on my moms Caddy is held in by one tiny set screw. You might need a very tiny allen wrench to tighten it up once you retrieve it from inside the door panel.

good luck.