Grand Am Faulty gas gage

Hi I have a 1992 Grand Am, just bought it, I filled the tank and it and the gage only went a little past the 1/2 mark. What should I look for in finding the problem.

Thanks much Bob

Reply to
Robert Cirak

fuel sender unit in the tank?

Reply to
Paradox

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

I'll solve it this way, When I get on empty wich would be 1/2 tank left I'll fill it up again. Never run out that way.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Cirak

I'm not the greatest at searching, but if you know your way around the internet, you might be able to find some info about it. I know I am not being much help, but it seems to be a pretty common problem on these styles of Grand Ams. Mine hasn't done it yet, thankfully. The gas door gives me trouble every once in a while, which is also very common.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Robert, Why don't you just forget the fuel gauge, it's trashed. Is your trip meter still operational? Utilize the trip meter as a fuel gauge.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb

Yes. You are correct. I should have been more specific. The carbon strips wear out.

Reply to
pyattts"=?x-user-defined?Q?=40texa=B0s=2Enetp=B6yats=20=40te

sending unit for my car was $347.93 list price, my cost was $243.55 ( at a Chevy dealer where a buddy works ).

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~260,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face