Grand Am Frame

Hello All,

My son ran his 2000 Grand Am on a guard rail and totaled out his car. He bent the frame on the front drivers side and was told that it would cost

2500 to repair. This is a quote for the frame only, the body and the suspension didn't get damaged at all. The Insurance Co. totaled the car and, I may purchase it back from them.

My question is:

1) Is $2500 a reasonable price to pay to repair a frame thats only damage on one side?

2) Would it be cost effective to replace the frame, provided it comes in two pieces? ( K body)

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
adrian kinzy

I'm not quite sure what you mean by all that... however: Grand Am is N body. Only GM K body I have heard of is 76-85 SeVille. Most mid size and smaller cars have not had separate frames for 30 years. YOur car has lengths of thin metal welded to the rest of the body that passes for a front frame. They come in one piece. A Uni-body car does not just bend one side when hit, both sides bend and the entire car twists. Are you sure the ins.company did not mean "radiator support"? It is probably better to junk the car. Just my opinon.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Reply to
adrian kinzy

"adrian kinzy" wrote

If your information is correct, ie: the subframe is the only thing that is damaged, it's hard to imagine it being 2500 dollars to repair. I don't know what the subframe costs, so you might want to check that out.

Nobody would attempt a "repair" on a subframe on this car...at least no-one that I know of. If the subframe is bent, you just replace it. I don't know what you are referring to by "K body", unless you think that the subframe is referred to as a "K frame". If so, you may be thinking of the Chrysler K cars.

Also, the subframe comes in one piece on these vehicles.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

2000 Grand Am

It depends on how well you want it fixed, where you drive it, and how much you drive it.

A couple of extremes: To get it in shape for the daily Katy freeway drive to downtown Houston, it would probably end up costing over $5000. To get it in shape for the back 40 acres, two chains, a tree, and a tractor would probably suffice. For some reason the insurance company does not think it is worth more than $750 for parts and scrap. Would you trust your safety to a car that will NEVER be in alignment again?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

It is hard to imagine that the insurance company would want to total it if is only a 2500 dollar fix, but who knows, maybe they think its a safety issue. You need somebody with frame straightening experience to look at it and tell you what is needed to fix it correctly. If it is repaired properly and the frame is within specifications you will be able to align the front end too.

Reply to
Scott

Anytime an insurance company totals a car, (especially a unibody car) for chassis damage you should take the money and run. Alignment may never be right again, doors may not fit properly, etc.. The car could also be a hazard to you and anyone else on the road. Do yourself a favor and get a new(er) car for him

Reply to
WiScottsin

Reply to
adrian kinzy

I bought and repaired a couple of cars back when I didn't have money to buy new vehicles. It's just like I said, you need somebody with a good frame rack and knowledgeable as to what you can fix and what needs replaced. I can't imagine the frame being too badly bent if its one of those guardrails that dissappear into the ground and he drove onto it. Usually unibodys get hammered from hitting things head on.

You might look for used airbags.

Reply to
Scott