Grand Am Power Steering leak

I have a leak in the power steering on my 96 Grand Am SE (4 cyl) I'm pretty sure it's the high pressure hose but was quoted $200 to fix it. How easy would it be to replace myself? Any special tools needed? Any good web sites to get the hose from? I've seen it for about $50 online while searching. It's the lower hose that goes from beneath the power steering fluid holder into the wall at the back of the engine bay. This is the high pressure hose right? It just seems to be a nut holding it at both ends although I haven't had a good look under neath the fluid tank. The car is loosing a LOT of fluid and right below this hose is where I can see the fluid dripping so I'm assuming it's that.

Sorry for being vague but it's late (work nights)for me.

Alex Devlin

Reply to
Alex Devlin

I'm not sure how to help you on prices, and where to get parts. But I have a '95 GA with the 2.3L. Nearly identical engine. I'm sure it's the hose you describe that is leaking, and yes, it's high pressure. I think it's a fairly common problem, after time that is. Mine leaks ever so slightly.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.