grand prix oiil pressure sender

can anyone shed light on this;

1992 Grand Prix 145K KM on it 3.1L MPI only when it is hot the oil guage on the instrument cluster keeps fluxuating between low and normal. when the car is at idle (ie stop light the guage reads low) at speed the guage is at normal. If at idle ant the transmission is placed in neutral and the engine is reved the guage goes up. Normally the guage is stationary in the normal position. I had the sender repalced at the dealer a day ago and it is still doing it. It is also not a constant problem it is intermittant I run 10W30 and do the oil changes on schedule. This does not happen in the summer and does not do it when the engine is cold. Thanks for any information.

AL

Reply to
1

You might want to put a real gauge on it and see what the pressure actually is. It's possible that the pressure relief valve is shot. Or the engine is worn out.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Make that "this did not do it last summer". Are you using exactly the same oil? Have you checked the ground circuits?

On my 1994 Trans Sport the guage would intermittently pin itself to full scale - usually under accelleration. At idle it would usually be at a believeable position, but I'd go to pull away and the oil pressure would either climb or spike. Put in neutral and rev the engine, the oil pressure behaved "normally"

The problem was a bad ground wire that bolts to the block at the front/bottom of the engine. Under accelleration, the wire "stretched" and lost contact.

The problem started in the fall, but had nothing to do with temperature or season. It worked just fine all summer. (last summer). Didn't work THIS summer untill I fixed it.

Reply to
clare

It's not the relief valve, because it wouldn't build up pressure, it may be a short in the ground wire

Reply to
1