Grand Prix Plastic Intake Manifold ???????

Recently had a problem with my '99 Grand Prix GT consuming coolant. Turns out that the upper intake manifold is plastic. Not so bad you say, "It only channels air". Well, the EGR valve runs through the middle of the thing and is close enough to the manifold water jackets that when the engine gets hot the EGR valve melts the plastic and allows coolant to enter the cylinders. (Only $1,054 to repair, the dealer wanted $1,500) Pontiac claims that no such problem exists, but they are willing to give me a $500 "Customer Loyalty Certificate" towards the purchase of my next Pontiac (LOL). The independent who did the repair work said he sees about 60 per year with the same problem. As a footnote, as I was leaving the repair shop ($1,054 lighter) a guy was standing in line with the exact same car, with the exact same problem. Has anyone else had this problem?? Were you able to get any satisfaction from Pontiac? I'm no Rocket Scientist, but it seems to my uneducated mind that exhaust gasses and plastic just don't go together.

Reply to
M Page

I don't own that car or one with that engine. I'm not sure how everyone's service satisfaction was. Seems lately (probably typical really) dealers have been screwing everyone over.

I can say that just from spending some time at this group, it's a VERY common problem. Your dealer straight up lied to you about that one.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

I can't remember anymore the times I've seen this very problem go through our shop. I work in the Parts Dept of a major Pontiac Dealership. Between work & the forums I either run or frequent, there is lots of people with the very same problem as you have had. Here's a link to my forum's file on the GM TSB regarding this very problem:

is a link to my Forum's GM FWD Tech Info section regarding this & othercommon problems:

DeathRat