grand prix problems help???

My car was over heating and I thought it was a thermostat so I bought one and put it in and that still didn't work same problem.I then noticed that the fans wheren't working,I tryed to test it with a tester type thing and its oviously not getting power,could it be a fuse or am I dumbed to buy two new fan motors?And where would that fuse for that be located?under the hood or in the glove box?I have 1993.......

Reply to
liz26yrs

If the fans are not getting power, then new fans probably won't help since they won't have power either. The fans are controlled by relays which are controlled by the ecu. The ecu gets it's temp signal from a switch or two. I assume you have the 3.1? Low temp switch on intake. Possible high temp switch on right head. Relays on ???firewall???

Reply to
« Paul »

Yeah your right,another question is how do you fix that problem?If it is a switch do you ajust it or do I have to replace it?you said relays,Im a girl you have to speak in none tech.trems with me ha ha ha.....

Reply to
liz26yrs

switch = thermostatic sensor unit - you replace it/them - check the connections. relay = relay - check the ohms, contacts, and connections. If you don't have the time, tools, or knowledge to fix it yourself then you will have to take it to someone that does.

Reply to
« Paul »

I really apreciate your help and I am going to go today to my mechanic I just wanted an idea of what it could be.I found that the auto zone web site was a great tool also for car repairs.I live in a small town and I try to get information on my car before I go to a mechanic because I got ripped off several times when I was trying to repair my Grandma's trn.on her car.but enough info I thank you.

Reply to
liz26yrs

Liz, you will find the forums of

a great help. Signup is free!!

This message was written on 100% recycled spam. SAM >>

Reply to
Samuel Warren

Liz I believe if you or your mechanic plug in a code reader the first thing that happens is the fan turns on If it doesn't then the problem is the fan. If it does then the problem is the computer, or more likely a sensor. Dave

Reply to
David Hough

If you turn the A/C on, one of the fans should turn on. If not, the problem could be a fuse, relay, or bad fan. I would say the possibility of both fans going bad at the same time is slim. I have a 94 Grand Prix that seems to run hotter after climbing a long hill...I turn on the A/C or the defroster which turns on the fan and helps cool the engine.

Reply to
Bill

My 1990 Lumina would run fine and cool (by the gauge) but in traffic or stop and go on the highway (heavy commute trafic) the temp gauge would climb...turn on the A/C and it would cool down. Conclusion: fans not being "commanded to turn on" by the ECM. (long story short) It turned out that the thermostat was bad (I replaced it on a wild hunch...never thinking it was really bad.) and all was/is well. In the Lumina's case, the "turn on the fan switch" is attached the radiator tank looking at the radiator coolant temperature, with the thermostat not opening enough, the radiator never really got "hot" just the engine. Good Luck.... I don't care if you are a girl or not, learn as much as you about how your car, and other things you own and count on work. It may come in very handy at times!!!!

Reply to
Randy

In the

The fan sensor in your engine/car has always been located on the engine, not at the radiator. The only sensor at the radiator on those cars would have been a coolant level sensor.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai