grand prix se owners please read

I have 2002 Grand Prix SE and I am sick of how the torque converter thing works in my car. Torque converter locks up at 35 -40 mph, when driving at highway speeds car is "locked" and doesn't accelerate on 4th gear without reduction, car has no power. I took it to a GM service they did a test drive and said everything is how it should be. It is so weird to me, is it really how it supposed to be? I've heard the TCC solenoid can be disconnected, how? Thanks!

Reply to
Raf

Before you go disconnecting the TCC solenoid tap the brakes to disengage the TCC (I'm pretty sure that you can do it that way) and then try giving it some gas. Also, almost all 4T60(E)s or 4T65Es have a tall 4th gear. I know in my GP it's a pain to get the thing to move faster when it's in 4th.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

This can work before accelerating, but once I reach wanted cruising speed the car has a poor response on a slowly, steady press on gas pedal. Once I release pedal and then push it gently again, engine RPM goes up and then it drops down with dull sound.

Reply to
Raf

Raf, You have to push the gas pedal to kick down. The Bonnevilles suffer from the same affliction, lack of power in 4th at 35-45 mph because of the tcc engage.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

I just can't get used to it... I own the car for 2 months it has low mileage and it's in great shape, but I think about selling it just because of this TC thing.

Reply to
Raf

Also, if you have the higher final drive ratio option (I think it's 3.06), that even makes it feel more sluggish in that 35-45 mph range. I know exactly what you're dealing with, I've put up with it for years with Bonnevilles. You gotta push the pedal down, I know it sounds silly. That's the way the 4T60 & 65 transmissions are designed to operate.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

I got a GTP with an automatic. And that thing hauls ass at any speed! Hit the gas and whoof the speedo pointer is pegged.

Yours, being an SE, should have the 3.1 (which sucks) since it takes more gas and makes less power and is less reliable than the natural-aspirated 3.8. Still, you should always have "power" in the car, if you are having "dangerous slowness" then there IS definately a problem.

I, like standard transmissions myself, and the TCC lockup makes me feel more at home behind the wheel so to speak, the whole "two-pedal" concept is still quite foreign to me, I also find my right hand doesn't have any work to do...

Raf wrote:

Reply to
Max