Gravel Roads

First time in 25 years of driving I drove down miles & miles of gravel roads on Thursday, running around Madison County Iowa looking at their six covered bridges. also visited John Wayne's house in Winterset, Iowa.

My car is snow white with gravel dust. The tires are white, the gas filler area is filled with dust, the rain channels around the trunk are filled too, every nook & cranny is filled with dust.

At one bridge I met a guy with a 40' Motor Home hooked to a giant tow truck. His transmission failed to go into gear when he wanted to back up. He tried to drive it forward but there was no room to turn it around, then he lost the forward gears, He came from Arizona with no problems.

I'd hate to live there and have to travel those roads every day. Some cars I saw were so white you couldn't see the brake & tail lights when they were lit. I checked my air filter today, it was okay as I wasn't following behind anybody on the gravel roads.

I stopped for gas at one point and the window squeegie water was all white from folks washing their dusty cars off.

Just as bad as road salt in the winters. I hope I don't have 11,000 stone chips after I wash off the dust.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~293,100 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Don't worry. I doubt that you've got more than 5,000 stone chips.

Plus it'll be easy to find them.

Just wait till next spring & then look at your car. Each stone chip will be highlighted by a little arrow of rust. Then you can sand each spot down..... primer the location & touch it up! Or just keep polishing the bugger so that the rust stains or stone chips don't show up till you trade it in! ;-)

Reply to
Full_Name

I wouldn't worry about it... We live in Iowa, and we go fishing quite often, and you know what that means - traveling on gravel roads. Haven't seen much of any chips from all of these times. You left in the nick of time might I add... It's pretty chilly here now. The low dipped into the low 30's. The high barely reached 50. By the way, we live in Des Moines, so about the only time we're on gravel roads is when we go fishing or go visit my grandma who lives out in the country.

*1988 Pontiac 6000, Garnet red (hood, trunk, & driver's side door repainted two months ago)*

*2.5L 4 cylinder engine*
Reply to
Travis King