GXP Solstice coming

Turbocharged Solstice GXP packs 260 hp

Richard Truett Automotive News / January 2, 2006 - 6:00 am

Pontiac's plan to re-establish itself as General Motors' performance division will pick up speed in August when the 260-hp Solstice GXP arrives at dealerships.

The Pontiac Solstice GXP packs a turbocharged 2.0-liter engine with variable valve timing and direct injection. It will be introduced this week at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

With 260 hp coming from just 2.0 liters, the GXP's engine has a higher output per liter than any engine GM has ever made, says spokesman Tom Read. It's also the first GM engine for North America with gasoline direct injection.

The GXP's fuel system moves the injectors off the intake manifold and onto the cylinder head. With gasoline direct injection, fuel is precisely aimed and controlled in the combustion chambers, resulting in a fuel and air mixture that creates more power.

"What we are trying to achieve with this engine is not only the high power but also good low-end torque and response," said Ed Groff, assistant chief engineer for the 2.0-liter Ecotec engine.

Pontiac says the Solstice GXP will reach 60 mph in just 5.5 seconds, 0.2 seconds faster than its main rival, the Honda S2000, and a full 2 seconds quicker than the new Mazda MX-5 Miata.

The GXP package includes dual exhaust and stability control. It will carry a price premium of $4,000 to $5,000. The base Solstice, which has a 177-hp 2.4-liter engine, starts at $19,995, including shipping.

The rival S2000 starts at $34,600, including shipping. There is no comparable high-performance Mazda Miata model.

Reply to
Paul_B

Why not just make a 3.5L NA engine that can make 260HP like Nissan.

Reply to
Paradox

Nevermind thought they were talking about the G6 for some reason.

Still the 3500 should be able to hit 250 instead of 205.

Bet all the Cobalt SS owners are gonna be torqued that they didnt get the turbo'ed ecotec.

Reply to
Paradox

alot of ss owners are removing their blowers and putting on turbos, they can handle so much boost stock because of the built bottom end. Maybe gm will sell a performance kit for it with warranty somewhat like the srt-4

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Ugly ( Solstice ) has arrived at the Pontiac dealer by me. I took a look at it Sunday. They sure did mess up the vision out the back window with those humps in the trunk lid. Looks like a 65 T-Bird tonneau cover gone wild.

Oh Well...Another car that looks like only a 16 year old gurl could fit in.......

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 33,138 91 Bonneville LE 305,222
Reply to
Harry Face

Well, I'm *far* from 16, but I fit in it, and so does my tall SO ... the only reason we're not considering a Solstice is because it's a convertible, and it rains a lot here! Keep in mind, though, that I adored my '86 6000LE so my taste is questionable.

Reply to
REP