Hacking an OEM CD changer

Since day one of owning our GXP Bonneville we've been having troubles with skipping. The car is going in for it's 2nd changer but to be honest I'm not too confident of the outcome. I'm not going to give up but I foresee us getting a $600 and them pulling the CD changer out. My alternative idea was to keep the changer and "hack" into the audio cables in order to use a portable MP3 player. Something as simple as tapping into the left/right output on the changer, while loading an 80 minute cd with 1 track of no sound (to keep the changer playing). I've tried the FM transmitter but the sound is very hissy and static while the cassette tape adapter has a slight but annoying buzz. So, short of replacing the radio this is the only option I can come up with. Has anyone ever tried this? Is there any obvious reason this won't work? Is anyone familiar with the trunk mounted unit's wiring setup in order to simplify this? Thanks for any help. Ed

Reply to
Ed

change stereos, its easier and cheaper

and since it can be 100% bolt-in there are no permanant changes and you can return that crappy stock sytuff back into its place at trade in time, dealers CUM all over factory stereos they hate seeing aftermarket ones

Reply to
I'm Right

How can it be easier/cheaper? There is "NO" aftermarket company that will even touch the 2005 Bonnies which means no faceplates, wiring adapters, mounting kits, etc..... The wiring harness and antenna leads are built in to metal brackets, allowing the OEM radio to slide in and connect like a docking station. So, with $500 for the radio and about 1 week of trial and error installation, I can't see replacement as a viable option. Ed

Reply to
Ed

If its a 2005 why not let the warranty work for you? Make them keep fixing it till they get it right...

and if your using CD-R's, try switching to a different brand.

You'd figure on a high end car like a GXP they would have MP3 compatable head units, but noo they are all on the Cobalts and Colorados for the kids.

Reply to
Paradox

an 05 with a skipping changer, its under warranty, 3 visits in 3 months its a LEMON, get a refund on the car

Reply to
I'm Right

HAHAHAHAH.........

You can't lemon law a car because the cd changer skips.......

Reply to
Masterson

it does not matter WHAT part of the car is cronically defective. the engine, the trans, the brakes,the cigatr lighter, if the dealer can't fix it, its a LEMON

Reply to
I'm Right

It does matter what part, if you want to lemon law it. Arbitration will not begin over a CD player issue.

My point was that you can't lemon law a car for a broken cd changer. Lemon laws only apply to critical parts. engine, brakes etc.

Just that simple. No way you can Lemon Law a car over a broken CD Changer. No refund is coming.

I bet its not even the changers fault. If in fact the car has had two different units fail, and the third is being installed if he still has the same problems with skipping. Its not the changer that is acting up. Its larger then that, like a suspension issue, or poor quality discs....etc...etc.

The Pioneer built 12 disc changer in the truck (if that's what he has) is a bullet proof design. Very sturdy. 3 would not break unless something was happening too it.

Reply to
Masterson

The changer does in fact skip on CDR's and store bought, even the supplied new car owner's CD that came with the vehicle. I have heard of them refunding the cost of the factory changer in extreme cases, my problem being do I have the time or willpower to pursue such a route. I have considered the rear suspension being it is a self leveling air shock. I would need to experiment more in order to rule it out. The changer "supposedly" was swapped out last time but this most recent time they are taking over 1 week to get a new unit. Last time it took 2-3 days. Could I have gotten the last changer at the warehouse??? Hmm........ Ed

Reply to
Ed

Easy enough to resolve whether you are getting a different changer or a repair of your existing one.

Record the serial number. Its on the white sticker on the unit. Compare it to the "new" changers numbers.

More then likely they only "repaired" the first changer and you are only thinking its a second unit. I bet, if an another changer is installed your problems will go away.

Is it mounted vertically or horizontally? Have them mount it horizontal, the laser will have a better response to bumps.

Reply to
Masterson

Unfortunately, on the 1st repair I trusted they were replacing it so I didn't bother recording the numbers. This time will be assuredly different. I'm surprised the OEM changer doesn't have any buffer to correct this problem. I could get a Crutchfield changer for 1/4 of the price of this one and it would outperform it in droves. But as I have researched this, no aftermarket changers other than an FM transmitter type is available for this vehicle. The changer is mounted horizontally in a cutout in the rear trunk directly over the rear wheel. The worst possible place if you ask me. It almost seems like it's suffering from the "end of the diving board" whipping syndrome. Placing it within the wheelbase are would have been a smarter solution to me. But, if it is a defective player I suppose a properly functioning player can operate in this environment. Ed

Reply to
Schooner