Head Gasket Blown, alternative 93 Sunfire

I have a 93 sunfire SE, with the headgasket blown. ($800). There is an ad in the paper for some guy who will fix them for $300 or less. He says he puts in some sort fo resin or epoxy or something that fills the hole in the head gasket. He says it works in about 90-95% of cars. If it blows again in the first 90 days, he'll come do it again. If it blows again (in another

980 days), he will give the money back.

Any thoughts? Anyone done this?

Reply to
Darrell

Don't do it. If you have three hundred to pay the quack, see if you can work out a payment plan with a good shop. There may be more wrong than just the gasket, the head may have warped etc. Temporary solutions to save time and money usually accomplish neither.

IMHO

Reply to
Bob

What's he got to lose if the guy will give his money back if it blows within

980 days :o)

Actually, Bob is right on. Don't fall for people peddling snake oil. You can't be sure it's just the headgasket until you take the head off and check it for cracks and warpage. I always take the head in to get pressure tested and resurfaced if needed.

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

Looks like I found the same type of kit on the internet... "moneyback guarentee" $119

Darrell

Sounds like good ol' boiler sealer to me. If the car is a crock, and you just want to try to get a few more miles out of it, go ahead - but save yourself some money and just get the boiler sealer (about $15). If the car is worth more tha $500, you might want to think twice.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

hey man, try to like, um, *replace* the gasket!

Reply to
Max

Of course that'd work too... I guess I meant to imply that when I said to go to a shop.

lol

Reply to
Bob

I hate this type of repair tip!! epoxy your problem then sell the car to someone who could not afford a car and get stuck with this (the worse is the new driver has no knowledge of this) problem. If you really want to repair this, you would do the right thing!

Reply to
Paul

Ouch. Sounds like you got burned Paul.

Reply to
Bob

Not yet! but I have seen many friends got burned. It could be you too or someone you know!

Reply to
Paul