Help: 96 Grand Am axel play

1996 Pontiac Grand Am, 2.4L DOHC, automatic

Gentlemen,

The inner CV joint on the right side can be moved by grabbing the joint with my hand and shaking back and forth. I pulled the axel and the CV joint is fine. It is the inner splined female sleeve and/or the guide sleeve in the transmission that is causing the slop.

Can these parts in the tranny be replaced without a complete teardown of the tranny?

Has anyone else come across this problem in their repair business?

TIA Bill snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

Do you have a particular problem or noise that you are trying to repair? Or did you just happen to notice that there is some slop at the right inner joint and trans? If you don't have any problem like a leak or noise....just leave it alone. If you do have a problem that you think is related to what you think is excessive play....it will probably get expensive to repair in a hurry.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yes, there is a problem with the right side axel producing a click/clunk when turning wheels all the way to the right and backing up. This is usually worn CV's or lower ball joints. I was diagnosing the problem when I discovered the slop in the inner joint.

The expense is not of immediate concern, the customer will pay for the repair. I was looking for a short cut that would allow the changing of the sleeves without total teardown of the tranny. My expertise is in Mercedes trannys and I an not up to snuff on the GM FWD.

Are you a GM mechanic?

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

I am....but I don't do any real work on automatic transmissions as we are quite specialized in our dealership.

But if it's the 4T60....you should be able to just remove the right side case extension housing and remove the differential case from there.

So it actually may be easier then I originally thought. Looks like it could be done in vehicle quite easily. Now, I am looking at a 97 model, as the service manuals I access only go back that far....but I suspect that the basic design never changed between 96 and

97

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai