HELP:: Question about 1996 Grand Am instrument cluster.

The instrument cluster in an aquaintances car went bad. It's a 1996 Grand Am. We replaced it with a cluster from a salvage yard car. There is no reason to believe this cluster is bad. Now the car turns over, but will not stay running. We put the old cluster back in, and the car starts and runs, but the cluster still does not work correctly. Is there something in the ignition circuit that passes thru the instrument cluster that would cause this, and is there any way to get it to work with the new cluster. Is it possible that the car will only work with the cluster it was built with?

thanks for any help Jim

Reply to
Jimz466

Sounds like a security issue to me Does the cluster have a security light flashing or on steady?

Reply to
jhones.family

jhones.family,

I just want to say thanks for the good information. The procedure worked perfectly. His car is up and running with it's new instrument cluster.

Reply to
Jimz466