HELP! quick release adapter for fuel filter on '98 pontiac sunfire

I have a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire. I was trying to change the fuel fitler, but could not get the "quick release" adapter to disconnect from the fuel filter inlet. There are 4 black tabs on the adapter. I tried all the different combinations of squeezing the tabs as I pushed the hose in then releasing and pulling the hose out, pushing the hose in then squeezing the tabs as I pushed the hose out, etc. I also tried the same two steps except I was pulling the tabs instead of squeezing. Basically, nothing seemed to work.

As I said, the hose has 4 black tabs around it. I also have one of those "how to do everything" auto books that explains the steps in replacing the fuel filter. However, when explaining the quick disconnect adapter, it says to squeeze the WHITE tabs, push the hose in, depress the tabs, and pull the hose out. However, I have 4 black tabs, not white tabs. I know this book is explained for several different models (Sunfire, Cavalier, etc) so perhaps it was slightly different between cars.

One last thing. When trying to push the tabs in, the tabs had absolutely no play in them. As a result, I find it hard to believe it has anything to do with squeezing the tabs. The tabs could move in and out of the hose, so I'm suspicious that maybe I'm supposed to push the tabs into the hose or something, and then push the hose into the fuel filter inlet, and then pull it back out. Something like that, I dunno.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks, Dustin

Reply to
Dustin