Help w/ 400 engine rebuild

I'm having difficulty trying to figure out what's missing from my engine. I got a 400 Pontiac engine in pieces and I've rebuilt it the way you would with any other american v8. The problem is that there is a hole in the rear of the water pump housing at the top and a hole in the front of the intake manifold that lines up with it. OK, I understand that water will pass through that hole but there is a gap there. I've found an O-ring in the gasket set but what is supposed to hold it in place? Should there be some kind of nipple on either piece? I'm lost.

Reply to
TimD

There is a thick O-ring that is sandwiched between the timing chain/water pump housing and the intake. When you installed the intake, place the

0-ring in the cavity on the intake and install the long bolt that goes from the timing cover to the intake and only the rear intake bolts. Tighten the front bolt and then the rear intake bolts. Now you can install the rest of the intake bolts. This will ensure that there are no leaks.

I hope you also installed the O-rings in the metal tubes behind the water pump plate inside the timing cover.

Reply to
Dennis Smith