help with car not starting

I have a GrandAm and left the lights on overnight and woke up to a dead battery. A two truck came and towed me to a nearby garage where they installed a new battery however, now the car wont start even though it never had trouble before. I am short on money at this time and can't afford diagnostics and wondered what could cause the car not to start.

Reply to
jennakay

ok, first, we need more information, First, what year is your grand am?does the engine turn over? does it try to start and then die? does it do nothing when you turn the key? does it make a clicking sound only?

Secondly, why did you replace the battery when it went dead? did you try to boost it?

Reply to
M.C. Tee

A dead battery would cause the car not to start.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reply to
jennakay

I could not jump start it as the battery was completely dead and I may have flooded it. So the garage put in the new battery and it turns over fine however will not start. I did notice however that since putting in the battery, the windshield wipers were moving slowly and the heater fan does not blow out heat so was not sure if perhaps the new battery was not installed correctly or was not putting out enough amps. The car engines turns over when I try to start it fine though.

I could not jump start it as the battery was completely dead and I may have flooded it. So the garage put in the new battery and it turns over fine however will not start. I did notice however that since putting in the battery, the windshield wipers were moving slowly and the heater fan does not blow out heat so was not sure if perhaps the new battery was not installed correctly or was not putting out enough amps. The car engines turns over when I try to start it fine though.

Reply to
jennakay

All symptoms of a dead battery. I don't know how much you know about cars, so... Your car has a device that keeps the battery charged. It is called an Alternator. The Alt is rotated by a fan belt from by the engine. When the alt is rotated, it produces electrical power. The faster the rotation the more power output. If the alt is bad, it will not keep the battery charged. There are many things that will kill an alternator and battery or at least stop them from working properly. You might want to consider having your car checked out be a competent tech instead of a battery replacer.

P.S. Nice part of the country - Rochester. I had to go to Kodak to evaluate their fuel system last month. Flew right over Niagra Falls. Used 3 days vacation and toured the area in a 100 mile radius. Never needed to turn on the A/C!

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul