HELP WITH FRONT END NOISE IN 98 TRANSPORT

I have an annoying noise in the front of my van that seems to be getting worse as time goes on. About 2000 miles ago (2 months ago) I had a new wheel bearing assembly on the drivers side, brakes and rotors installed on the front. When I went to pick up the van at the repair shop I noticed a NEW and very loud groan/dull snapping sound coming from the front when I turned the wheel. I brought the vehicle back to the repair shop and after 2 weeks of changing ball joints and axles, they finally decided I had a bad strut and mount on the driver side. They replaced both struts and mounts (I made them put my original axle back in) and I ended up with $1200 bill for all the work. Well the groaning has returned when I turn the wheel in each direction when I first start out going forward or reverse, the sound is not evident at highway speeds. The snapping "feel" is not evident. We just returned from a 500 mile trip and since we do not put many miles on at one time I figured this was enough to aggravate the problem. Any ideas before I go back to the shop? Thank you!

Reply to
Bubba

Sounds like bad upper strut bearings to me

Reply to
Mark Keeling

Does the "noise" go away when you drive in the rain? Try hosing the front suspension areas with water from a hosepipe then quicky go for a test drive. If the "noise" has gone then you have dry suspension bearings and/or worn/dry rubber bushes on the suspension.

Reply to
kingarthur