High idle on 84 trans am

this car idles high in park, neutral and drive. Sometimes the idle is perfect, but most of the time when u start it, it idles high and when u put it in gear u must have ur foot on the brake because of the surge. It likes to run at 25 mph.

Reply to
oonee

AOL and talkaboutautos. You win the double dumbass challenge. Now step away from the car and let someone with a clue drive it.

Reply to
FBR

Thanks, I'll pass that on to my 16 yr old that owns the car and is taking driver's ed to be able to drive this car and wants to fix it up.

Reply to
oonee

Sounds like a bad choke or electrical problem in the choke heater circuit.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Thank you, we will check this. 1984 trans am 5.0 fuel injected.

Reply to
oonee

There were no fuel injected engines installed in any 1984 Trans Ams.

The only engines available in the 1984 Trans Am was the VIN code H 150HP LG4 305 V8 and the VIN code G 190HP L69 305 H.O. Both were carburated. Check the 8th digit of the VIN number.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

No "Cross Fire" EFI in 1984? I know it was available in '83 because I had one.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

#1: Check for intake leaks (all manifold gaskets, hoses, power brake booster, etc).

If it really is fuel injected, the idle air control motor should manage the idle speed. Maybe it's stuck or otherwise broken. Is the check engine light on or off while running?

If it's carburetted, the electric choke/fast-idle could be stuck or the elecric choke element burned out. It could also just have the idle speed adjusted too high by some misinformed prior mechanic.

Post back whether it really is or isn't fuel injected. Do you have a service manual?

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Nope. CrossFire was from 1982-83 in the F-body. Discontinued for 1984 because the carburated L69 5.0L HO engine considerably out performed it and there were just too many problems with the CrossFire injection. The

5.0L HO engine was introduced around March 1983 so techincally there were three V8 options available in the Z28 and Trans Am during the 1983 model year. 1982 and 1984 Corvette had CrossFire injection.

CrossFire is one of those things that looks good on paper but not by the time it hits production. Kind of like the 1980-81 Turbo Pontiac 301.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Sorry, it's an '86. Use to own a '84. Owned so many vehicles all I know is that I drive the big purple van anymore. LOL. Even owned the Daytona 500 trans am pace car.

Reply to
oonee

when it runs high, the check engine light is off, but when she runs "right" (on occassion, like when it rains) the light comes on.

Reply to
oonee