How do I make the exhaust a little louder on Gprix 98 GT

My 16 year old grandson just purchased a 98 GrandPrix GT and likes to make the exhaust a little louder, what should he do......any other advise as to what to watch out for mechanically?? Does this motor have a timing belt that needs to be replaced, or does it have a chain??? old grandpa in California

Reply to
PeterM

Install a Borla Catback Exhaust system. His car's 3 cylinder engine does not have a timing belt.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Well, if he treats it like I treated my first car it won't last a year until the next inspection. So just punch a one-inch hole in the muffler. If it does last, just buy a new muffler and punch a hole in that one the day after inspection. Probably the cheapest way to go. (Dipstick's post notwithstanding)

The above message was posted tongue-in-cheek

Lee

2000 SSEi - 49,200 2004 Volvo S60 - 12,575
Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

Flowmaster 40 series muffler, 50's if its a dual.

3800 is a timing chain, not sure if this one had the headgasket leak issue?
Reply to
Paradox

Hopefully grandson passes on the idea of a louder muffler. We have one across the street on Jr's Z-28. Were hear him coming a block away. When he backs up the driveway it shakes our house like a San Francisco earthquake.

A Tran's Am on the other end of the block does the same thing only with speakers & sub woofers instead of mufflers.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 34,114 91 Bonneville LE 305,610
Reply to
Harry Face

It has a 6 cylinder engine with a timing chain. There is a resonator in the middle of the exhaust that can be removed and replaced with a length of straight pipe to make it a little louder. It won't be unbearable.

Reply to
Tom

Oh yeah forgot about that, while they are doing that, he may as well relocate the O2 sensor that located in a bend in the exhaust, its a pretty restrictive piece. all you need is a O2 sensor bung and weld it onto the side of a new exhaust pipe. I actually have 2 sections of pipe that are precut and have an O2 bung prewelded in, all you would have to do is cut that section out along with the resonator, and get a section of pipe to go in. The ends on the pieces I have are flared out to allow 2.25" piping to go into them.

Reply to
Paradox

I can't believe the great info from all of you, even the funny ones....I promise you one thing, this car will be modified mildly. I'm going to probably pay for this, so he is honestly looking just for a little more sound, no big noise, and for sure no bass that will wake up the neighborhood. He really is a good kid. You guys are the best........Peter

Reply to
PeterM