How long can it last - 97 grand prix GT

I have a 1997 grand prix GT four door and really like it. What is the life expectancy for this car? I have 80K on it currently and change the oil on a regular basis (3000-5000 miles).

I'm concerned I am getting to the point where expensive repairs will be needed to keep the car maintained.... like replacing the water pump for $500 at the local dealer and another set of new tires and brakes...plus a tune up or whatever happens at 100K.

I want to keep this car but figure I would ask the group for opinions.

Reply to
JonH

Should easily last at least 300k miles. Change the oil every 3-5k miles like you are doing. Yes, parts will be getting expensive. $200/month for repairs or a lot more/month for a new car - the choice is yours.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

People don't normally change their car at 80k unless you don't like the car. It is all about cost. Sure your can replace your car each time it hit 80K and loose about 50% of what you paid (including tax) or replace tires, battery, belts or spark plugs for about 1000 dollars or about two months car payment. My car is well above 300,000 km and still drive like new. Without looking at the odometer, you would not know its age. The key is maintain it. I spend about 600 dollars (average spending) a year to keep the car in top shape.

Reply to
none

If your quoted $500 for a water pump job you better find a new place to work on your car. A 3800 water pump at the dealer lists for only $111.00 ( USA ) it takes less than an hour to install - at least on mine it does..Shop labour rate at the dealer by me is $82.00 an hour. Together thats only $193.00 + antifreeze add another $10.00 Its a looooong way off from $500.00

If you maintain the car it could last a very long time. There's people with 3800 V6 cars with well over 100,000, 200,000 and 300,000 miles.

Good Luck.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,068 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

For what its worth:

I have a 94 Grand AM and it is at 140K miles and it runs great. I bought it new. I change the oil every 3K. Along with regular items (brakes, wiperblades, lights, etc) the only spendy items have been a water pump, an alternator, and a thermostat. All three of those went out after 110K. It runs great, and I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks a year to keep it running great and avoid a monthly car payment.

At the same time I salivate every time I see a Vicotry Red 04 GT1\SC\T and I wish I could buy one today!

Mark Portland, OR

Reply to
Mark Bruso