How to access Montana engine air filter?

I picked up a replacement air filter, but when I went to install there didn't seem to be much play in the hose the LHS of the housing (2 clips on top). I moved the coolant overflow container over and thought that maybe I need to pop the top off the housing instead, but I thought it might be simpler to just ask in this forum.

What's the proper way to get at it?

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

There is no good way to do this but I recommend going ahead and loosening the big clamp to the connector hose and gently prying the connecting hose off of the throttle body as it will give you the play you need to do this job. Plan on getting two or three small scrapes as this will be a fight both on and off. Really bad engineering, good luck!

Reply to
Prodigy News

Gee, when I found it difficult I thought maybe I was just going at it the wrong way.

And they w> There is no good way to do this but I recommend going ahead and loosening

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

If the engine air filter gets dirty, could it cause the engine to run warm? The van runs fairly warm and it's easy to hit the half mark and hovers 2 notches above the quarter mark during driving.

Thanks,

Simon

Reply to
Newbie

so its under the halfway mark? that doesn't sound warm

Reply to
M.C. Tee

No, a plugged air filter has nothing to do with your van running warm, (if it is even running "hot"). From your description of where the gauge is running, the van is running at the correct temperature. The gauge is not intended to be anything more then an general indicator of where the temperature is. It's normal for this type of vehicle to run at one gauge position while you are just barrelling down the road, and then to creep up if you are idling in stop and go traffic. It uses electric cooling fans, and they are set to turn on at a much higher temperature then the thermostat opening temperature. If you don't want the gauge to fluctuate, use your A/C all the time. The fans come on when you use the A/C, so the temperature will be modulated to the t/stat opening temp.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks for the responses. I haven't had a lot of stop and go traffic but if the van is idle for about few mins or so, the temp gauge can climb up to the

3 quarter mark. I was told the fan only kicks in at 108C so it's 2 notches higher than the 3 quarter mark.

You're right, if I use the AC, it hovers less than half. Maybe I'm just too concerned.

Thanks,

Simon

Reply to
Newbie

You're just too concerned. What you are describing is fine.

Reply to
hyundaitech

On my 98 Montana I removed the duct from the throttle body, including the mass airflow sensor. This makes the housing come out fairly easy.

Reply to
DonW