I don't mean to offend, but I like my new GTO

Don't misunderstand - I'm not suggesting for a minute that it couldn't have looked better. I liked the brawny look of the vintage goats. I just don't believe that it achieved legendary status by virtue of its looks. I'm disturbed that there are so many who feel that looks are as important as performance. This, I believe, is a phenomenon that developed when performance was flushed down the toilet due to emission rules, mileage standards, etc, etc, etc. If you can't get a fast car, at least get a car that looks fast. Recall that in the late 50's and early 60's, virtually ALL cars looked fast (the '59/'60 Impala/Belair/Biscayne looked like they could fly!). In terms of looking fast, the GTO was not a standout in its time. Fast forward 40 years. A brawny car would look nice, but it wouldn't blend in like the original goat did in the 60's. On a more personal level, I'm 40 years older, so I'm not interested in standing out. I'd be content being the only one who knows what I'm driving. But make no mistake about it -- this car is definitely turning some heads (much to my surprise).

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

You can also look at it another way in that all fast cars in the 50's 0r

60's were not pretty, take for instance the 62 or 63 413 C.I. Max Wedge SuperStock Dodge. It wasnt the most pretty car but it had a monster motor that would actually blow away the GTO. GTO lays claim to the first muscle car but in reality Dodge should hold that title. This car was based on old Beach Boys song "The Little Old Lady from pasedena" she was driving that Super Stock Dodge. For those unfamiliar with the car look it up. Like I said that Dodge wasnt what you would call pretty but it was brawny.

Reply to
Mayor Quimby