IAC o-ring

Took the IAC unit out of the throttle body on my '92 Grand Am's Quad Four today. Wanted to clean it up in hopes of clearing a code 35.

The service manual very clearly shows that the IAC has an o-ring for sealing. By golly I can find neither hide nor hair of that darn thing. Don't think it fell off when I pulled the unit out. Have looked around on the floor and under the hood. Don't see anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. The IAC has not been removed in the past to the best of my knowledge. Surely it does require an o-ring does it not? If so would you know what size it is? Can't find a listing for the o-ring on the Advance, AutoZone, or NAPA sites.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

I just put a new IAC motor in my 3.3. Mine uses an o-ring. I don't have the old one but I can tell you that the OD of the metal iac part is exactly 7/8 inch dia because I have the old motor. The o-ring was the thin kind, not the thick one. It may leak without it.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

OK. Thanks. I'll double check the OD of my IAC.

I'm not an o-ring expert. I wonder how many different thicknesses they come in for a given ID? Might have to purchase a selection and proceed by trial and error. Knowing that your o-ring was not a fat one is helpful.

Guess I could make the trek to the dealer and buy >>

Reply to
Silver Surfer

The old one was black neoprene. The Ace Hardware down the road from me has way over 200 neoprene o-rings of different diameters. However, there seems to be only a thick one and a thin one.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Found the right o-ring at a home improvement store in town. Ace was closed for the evening. You were exactly right. It took a 3/4" ID, 1/16" thick o-ring to do the job. Nothing else I had on hand would let the IAC seat. Thanks for your help on this.

Stupid Advance store. What a worthless o-ring selection there. Same at AutoZone.

Reply to
Silver Surfer