Idiot Ford Explorer Boxes Me In.

Well today as I turned right ( West ) off my block onto Main St, I swing out all the way over to the left lane. I'm behind some company Astro Van. In the middle lane is a green Explorer 2 door all smashed to hell. Two young'uns inside.

The rear bumper is folded down to the point it actually facing up & down. The quarter panels are buckled and the LF front fender is smashed in along the top edge of the fender, not the side.

When we catch the next light 4 blocks from my street the Explorer decides to drive along side me. His front tire is even with my front door. The driver & passenger are laughing their asses off for some reason.

The Astro is rolling about 10 over the limit, so me being behind doing

40 is fine with me. I'd like to move over but can't.

The Explorer has me boxed in.

For the next mile the Explorer hangs along side me constantly tapping his gas pedal, you can hear the engine rev & drop, rev & drop.

At the light by the Chevy dealer the Explorer drops behind me, moves into the left turn lane which has the red arrow at this point, as I go through the center of the intersection the Explorer revs it up and swings out of the left turn lane and gets behind me, cuts back to the middle lane and then zooms up even with my front door again.

2 miles down, I'm still boxed in, more laughing is heard coming from the Ford.

At the 3 mile light the Explorer drops behind me because the middle lane has a back up at the light. We clear the intersection and a spot opens up as we pass by Red Lobster, the Ford whips in steps on the gas and roars up along side me but won't pass. Nobody is in front of him for over a block.

Unfortunately, I can't make any quick maneuvers due to the problems my car was experiencing today. The Astro and I are still cruising at 40 and amazingly in the 3 + miles I've driven since leaving my house there was not one left turner in front of us.

Passing by the mall at the 4 mile light the Astro picks up speed somewhat so I kick it up. The Explorer cranks it up and comes within a foot of the car in front of it. They are still laughing for some reason

Howard Stern is off the air here, so it can't be him making them laugh.

Now the driver is looking down out of his window into my car, He's chattering about something. I had the windows on the passenger side closed at the time.

At the 5 mile light by the Buick dealer the Explorer made his first mistake. He got over in the right lane to pass a slower car. He's now stuck in the right lane which becomes an Exit only lane for Northbound IL 43.

At the last minute he cuts back over into the middle lane. At this point the Main Street is now two lanes going west. The Explorer is about two cars behind me.

He then makes his second mistake, he gets behind me. There is another Exit coming up on the right for Southbound IL 43 that I want to take. The Astro & I are still in the left lane doing 50, the exit ramp quickly approaching. The Astro passes a slower moving car on our right, as I pass it I slip in ahead of it.

Meanwhile cars are coming down the enter ramp trying to merge onto the street I'm trying to get off of. We meld into one straight lines of cars, some move to the left I move to the right, ready to take the upward sweeping full circle entrance ramp.

A quick look in the mirror I spy the Explorer still behind the Astro. Suddenly, A horn is blown ! Then all of a sudden when you think its next to impossible the Explorer cuts across three lanes of traffic at the last minute and comes flying up behind me almost to the bumper as I just start to hit the on ramp. Looking in the rearview mirror these strokes are still laughing. But the laughter is about to end ! For I will have the last laugh.

Driving a front wheel drive car I can take this ramp at 50 + mph. I give it the gas and hoped the car could take it, And take it, it did ! A rear wheel drive SUV has to slow way down.

Tires squealing, Explorer starts dropping farther & farther back, as my car ascends the sweep of the circle shaped ramp I give it more gas. I hold it steady around 51 mph gripping the steering wheel like Speed Racer did when he went up against Duggery.

When you get to the top and straighten out there is about a 2 1/2 block straight run till you have to move over.

As I'm coming out into the straightaway I cranked it up to 70 mph, The limit is 40 and I'm hoping the Police are somewheres else. Plenty of room to move to the left. I pass by a Silverado & a semi. Looking in the mirror the Explorer isn't even at the top of the exit ramp.

I'm hoping I make the green light at 99th, which I did. I move over in front of yet another semi and slip in behind a tanker truck. I want to turn right at 101st St.

Looking in the driverside mirror I can't see the Explorer. I miss the light at 101st, but I end up turning through the hotel driveway, cut through the parking lot and out the southside driveway onto 101st St.

I was going to the Post Office. The Explorer never had the chance to even see where I had gone once I got off that exit ramp.

I just can't figure out why they stuck to the side of my car for over 5 miles. There's a good chance I may see this stroke again sometime.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,040 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Depending on whatr I was driving, I may have had some fun with them. If I was in my 84 C-10, they would have been an explorir roll over headline.

Never forget rule #1 of evading a side by side pursurer. Jam the brakes for all your worth, and whip a turn, use the park brake if needed.

Second rule, always make sure you can get away. Never let your self be boxed in.

Now say I was driving something like my Trans Am. I would have nailed the brakes, did a cross lane turn in to the first right hand road, and evaded. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Your beater has 280,000 miles now. RAM'em!!!!

Reply to
Dennis Smith

When I first started driving I had a similar issue. I was out one night driving by myself. I had an 87 Cavalier Z24, not more than 2-3 years old. I spotted 2 guys in a Reliant K car harassing a poor girl driving by herself in her Chevette. They constantly "beep beep" and were giving her the middle finger. She was on the right lane, they were in the middle lane. I drove up beside the guys in the middle lane, honked my horn "beep beep", and gave them the middle and accelerated away. All I can remember was the 2 guys getting away from the girl and trying to catch me, but unfortunately there's no chance for a Reliant K car to catch a Z24 with a 2.8 MPFI 5 speed. I think the girl felt a little better afterwards.

Dan

90 Grand Am SE Quad-4 HO 5 SPEED 89 Corvette 5.7 TPI
Reply to
Black Bomb

There are some real winners out there...that's for sure. Glad it ended okay for you. Based on your description of the appearance/condition of the vehicle they were driving, I bet it was stolen. They probably wanted your car next! Older cars make for good chopping!!!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Dennis Smith wrote : Your beater has 280,000 miles now, RAM' em !!!

Beater ?!

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,040 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Yeah ussually when someone thinks they are being a funny guy, the laughter ussually stops and they get the hell out of the way when I move my gun from under the seat to the middle of the dash where they can see it. Eyes tend to pay more attention to the front of them then on me after that. These 2 I would have just gone around in the floating left turn lane they have everywhere out here.

Reply to
Paradox