Idiot lights on '91 Grand Prix

I just bought a '91 Grand Prix ( shouldn't it be Gran Prix...anyway ) and one of the 'known bugs' is the random lighting of certain idiot lights.

On mine ( 175,000 miles ) it's the water, gas and Service Engine lights which randomly light up while driving.

It's no big, since I have good old analog gauges for gas and temperature and I assume the Service light is a GM marketing gimmick to shame me into paying for scheduled service.

However, is there a quick fix, part upgrade I can install to fix the idiot lights...if not, I'll live with it and maybe just put masking tape on my dash board.

Reply to
in

Yes, the quick fix is to replace the instrument cluster. I suspect you will end up with masking tape on your dash board.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I have had 2 Grand Prix's (a '91 and a '92) and both had the instrument cluster problems. On the first one, I just ignored it completely, but on the second one I removed the cluster, and took out the bulbs that were for the Service Engine and Low Fuel lights. I also put electrical tape inside to block the light from the other bulbs from getting through, that way it looks just as if no warning lights are on. As for making the warning lights work properly, I myself would have tried a junk yard. The yards up here (Ontario) let you pop the cluster into your car in the yard to make sure it works properly before you buy it, and if it doesn't, you don't have to buy it, however I too had the analog gauges, so I just got used to it. :)

Reply to
80 Knight