Insurance question (I do own a pontiac)

Okay, I was at work today, on lunch really, and some kid hit my car. He hit two cars, one being mine. It was hit in the fender, on the passenger side, in front of the front wheel. It's fairly bad. The front of my car almost made it to the next space over. So it was a decent hit. Which, it's a '95 GA, and they don't hold value well, so maybe even it's totaled. I doubt it myself, but maybe. Either case, one thing doesn't change. It was a kid with a learning permit, the father who wasn't with him, has a suspended license, and neither had insurance. I carry full coverage on mine, so I am covered for this situation. But I'm not sure how this all works. I've only ever had to claim once which was for slight hail damage. I wasn't too upset about the whole thing. There is only ONE single concern I have, and that is if MY insurance premiums will go up. Does anyone know? If the car is totaled, I can live with that. It still drives, the alignment I don't think is off even. Maybe a little if any. If my insurance goes up, I may even just say screw the claim, because the car is getting older anyway. I planned on running it into the dirt anyway. '95 - 118K miles. Infamous "Quad Four". It runs awesome really. Anyway, I wouldn't even post, but otherwise I have to wait until Monday to get any answers.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Hard to say. If you have been with the same ins. company for many years, then they may not raise rates. I think they figure it this way: if you pay $1000 /per year per car (Houston, Texas) then in 10 years you have paid them $10,000. That would more than offset them paying $2500 for a totalled 95 G/A.

Reply to
Paül

Insurance companies are out to make money though, not to help their customers.

Reply to
Paradox

I am an insurance broker in CA. The likelihood of your rates being increased is high. The fact that the other party is uninsured does not relieve them of the financial responsibility to pay for your damages. If your carrier pays you then they will go after them in a process called "subrogation". When they get their money, your carrier will mail you your deductible (which was deducted from their check to you). If your carrier does recover from the guilty party, then your rate increase might be mitigated or even zeroes out.

If the vehicle was worth under $5,000 5 seconds before the crash, then you might want to opt for not filing a claim and merely suing them in Small Claims Court and collecting the judgment amount yourself through attaching their bank account and their paychecks (I have done that myself).

Jerry San Diego

passenger

Which,

doesn't

anyway.

Anyway,

Reply to
Jerry Hermes

Reply to
*Zoe*

Thanks to everyone for all of your help. I live in Iowa if that helps anyone out who is knowledgable enough. I have been with this Insurance company for almost 10 years now. They have always treated me well.

After reviewing my policy, I'm not even sure I'm covered at all for this. Here is what it says minus the figures.

Bodily injury Liability and Property Damage Liability. Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Medical Expense Comprehensive Collision Emergency Road Service

It never states uninsured motorist property damage. So I don't know. But I always thought it would. We'll see I guess.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Got an estimate today. $1,835.00 (rounded) My Dad owns a body shop though, and that's where I took it. They are a bit on the expensive side, but they also are known for doing some of the best work around. Not to mention, it just so happens (I didn't plan it!) that my insurance company prefers his shop. :)

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.