Intermittent Engine Studder/Shutdown 2000 Gran Prix

I had reported the following problems earlier:

  1. Instantaneous engine shutdown ( or momentary studdering) while travelling at speeds greater than 35 mph.
  2. Tachometer drops to zero even though the engine is still running.
  3. The "Trac Off" light comes on
  4. Check Engine light sometimes illuminates. If the engine shuts down, it has never failed to restart immediately.

The dealer performed a fix outlined in GM Tech Service Bulletin # #

000604049 but the problem persists and in fact it has occurred 4 times in the past week.

Anyone else had this problem?

Reply to
Ray Hardy

Sounds to me like the ECM, or PCM, or TCC. (Torque converter clutch) If it tries to engage too soon I could see it killing the engine. I would see what comes up if you have a service shop pull codes.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

I had something similar, all it was were rusty battery connections and a old starter that was wasting a lot of electricity. As soon as I wanted too much electricity (brake lights, indicator etc.) the power to the ECM would fluctuate too much and that would shut down the engine. A bad alternator seems to do the same, since it also cause fluctuating power to the ECM.

Just make sure you check these things first before you start spending money on it.

Reply to
Baudolino