Just wont crank

I have a 1995 grand prix, it will not crank I put in a rebuilt starter but still no good.

How can I tell if the problem is linked to the anti theft resistor pellet key or not ?

I went back later and tried a spare key but no good, the key goes all the way forward to the start position, and all the the warning/info lights come on in the instrument cluster as normal, but it will not crank. I turned on the headlights to see if they dim while I try to start, but they stay on as normal. the battery has plenty of power. and I checked the connections of the battery cables both at the battery and at the engine. All are good.

I tried praying, but still no start.

Because of the anti theft system, I would not get any voltage at the Purple solenoid wire down by the starter anyway. How is the best way to rule out a problem with the the anti theft system ?

Reply to
Mike

Can you jumper the starter from solenoid to start motor?

Reply to
Tj

when ever you turn the key switch on youll see the anti theft light flash or it will stay on for five seconds then go out if it stays on you may have a problem with the antitheft relay located underneath the left side of steering column.

Reply to
brokedown

Yes, The engine cranks when I jumper to the solenoid directly. I wish I had done that before I replaced the starter.

Reply to
Mike

What is this relay for, and how can i rule it out or in. unfortunately the car crapped out on me at work, and it is sitting in the parking lot there, and I am at home trying to figure out my next move. I don't earn alot of money, and i would sure like to avoid a towing bill and dealer costs. But I already wasted some money by replacing the starter when I didn't need to. And now It is goung to snow more on Sunday.

Also what does this realy look like, and can it be bypassed to troubeshoot ? I am sure if it is part of the anti theft system, It is going to be hard to bypass, otherwise what good would an anti theft system be anyway Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Mike

I put a jumper wire to the solenoid and the engine cranks,but will not stay running when the wire is removed..

Also I noticed that when the key is turned to the "ON" position, the security light flashes. It never did that before.

I wonder if the contacts that read the resister pellet on the key are bad. Also I am trying to locate the "theft detterent relay" so I can check it out .

Thanks for any help

Reply to
Mike

I found the problem. It is a broken wire on the lock cylinder, that reads the security ignition key.

I found an article on the internet, so here is the link to show what happened.

If you scroll down he has some pictures of the problem. Thanks to all for your help.

Reply to
Mike