Key stuck in ignition on Pontiac Bonneville 1996

It's 96, automatic transmission. The key doesn't go into "Lock" position, it stays in off position. It is a spare key. I'm sure the transmission is in parking position (otherwise the car would roll down the hill, I guess). I can start and stop the engine. So, I'm pretty sure it's electronics problem, otherwise it should be just stuck there. Is there some fuse I can remove to make the key go into "Lock" position (that's when you take out the key). Does disconnecting the battery work the same way in this case as removing the fuse? Or is there any other solution without going to see the mechanic?

Thanks.

Reply to
m.vitaliy

it has something to do with the gearshift detent, just as it would behave if it were in neutral and the key wont turn all the way off. I believe that is the case in your situation. I would recommend if you have a console mounted shifter disconnect the shift cables from the gearshift lever where it mounts to the steering column. If a column mounted shifter is the case that is most likely the situation in this case as well. You could have a faulty key/ignition tumbler set but it would be difficult to move back and forth in any case with the key inserted.

Reply to
TM

My mom's '94 S10 Blazer does the same thing. Try taking the vehicle out of park and then putting it back in park (of course, apply your breaks) and see if you can pull the key out then. Sometimes I'll get her's in park and it doesn't move, but I can't get the key out until I shift it and then reshift it to park.

Reply to
Travis King

Reply to
Jack Zwanenburg