Losing Antifreeze somewhere

Hello, My wife has a 2003 Grand Am V6. About every two months or so, her low coolant light comes on the dash. I fill the coolant container up and it lasts for another two months. I have looked all over and see no leaks on the motor. Is there some sort of test to see if I have a head gasket going? The car runs excellent. Thanks for any tips...Jim

Reply to
Jimi

Probably not a head gasket. Google - "intake manifold leak" GM

Reply to
« Paul »

You could try several tests. A pressurized cylinder leak down test, use an air adapter in place of your spark plug - bring the cylinder to top dead center and apply air and monitor. Pressurize the cooling system with a radiator hand pump, use a dye and black light or use an exhaust sniffer at the radiator cap. The actual tests have been covered in groups and are available on the internet.

Happy modeming, Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

Though a little premature age-wise, there could be slow drip-leak at the heater core. Does your wife ever smell coolant -- even for just a few seconds?

Reply to
jwardl

Is the engine a 3.4 liter? If so, you could have either head gaskets leaking externally (they usually do not leak internally, but split along the front outer edges) or you have the very common intake gasket leak. In both cases, depending on how many miles are on the vehicle, you should be able to get "good will" warranty on the repair.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Jim,

Very likely the intake manifold gasket is leaking although GM should have been putting on the improved gaskets by then. It can leak externally as well as internally (not good). Pull the dipstick and make sure the oil does not look like a chocolate milkshake. If it does, the oil is contaminated with coolant and she should not drive the car until it is fixed. The external leaks can be seen at the rear of the heads above the transmission. Saw some little puddles there on my 2001.

GM paid half on my repair for my 2001 about a year ago, low mileage car ~42,000 at the time even though it was past warranty.

The coolant system caps on the overflow bottles are another weak point, could just be the cap leaking. The caps tend to stick to the inside of the bottles neck and break apart when removed for service etc.

Howard

Reply to
doane_nut

Just in the cold weather? Check ALL coolant hose clamps. Tighten as necessary. I've had slow seepage from rad hose clamps that never show wet, but on close inspection there are glycol crystals and minor stains at the leaky joints.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca