loud popping noise in trans 1997 Bonneville

I have a 1997 Bonneville SSE. I replaced the transmission a year ago with a cheaper used one.

It has started to make a loud popping sound when you give it gas. It feels and sounds like splines slipping. Every once in a while it will catch and shift normal. When it catches you can gun it and it will shift through all the gears smoothly. Once it slips, it does the popping in any gear, forward or reverse.

Can this be a wheel bearing? CV joint? torque converter? How the heck do I troubleshoot this and narrow it down without having the tear the transmission out all over again?

Reply to
Lannie

Try a can of transmission conditioner. You know you should change the oil and filter once a year.

Reply to
Erness Wild