Low Coolant Light?

I have a 2000 Grand Prix GTP with approximately 40,000 miles on it. Recently my wife indicated that the Low Coolant was remaining on after start up. Sometimes the light will stay on for 30 secs. or less and at other times it will remain on for several miles. I checked the coolant level in the reservoir and it seemed marginally low at best, certainly not low enough to trigger the light I don't feel. I added a little coolant and also checked the radiator level, it was right up to the neck.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be occurring? In February the head gaskets were replaced by the dealer due to a significant oil leak from the rear head gasket. Although I don't see or smell any antifreeze leaking, could this be something related to an intake manifold gasket leak, air in the system, or something possibly related to the previous head gasket work. Again, I am reaching for straws. Any thoughts would be appreciated. The car runs fine otherwise.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Picha

Actually I'm interested to know about this as well.

I have a Montana 2000 with 3.4L which I got the same warning light about a year ago. It went in for warranty repair few times but no go. The 3rd time I took it in, the service guy just added more coolant through the radiator cap when the engine was still hot. That did it.

After that, I had the famous gasket leaking and before that, I noticed the engine temperature was quite high. Or it would jump all the way from 1/4 mark to near red in about 2 stop lights in a day like 25C outside. After the gasket fix, I still find the engine temperature fluctuate quite a bit during stop and go traffic. It hasn't reached the red zone but it's gone past 3/4 mark a few times in a 0C-5C day.

Simon

Reply to
Newbie

Your shop did not bleed air out of the system, top the coolant off, and keep a close eye on her. It always happens to me when my shop flushes the rad. I had '93 Grand Prix, and stepped up to 2004 4months ago. Also check for a possible stuck thermostat, and replace your radiator cap. If the cap goes bad it won't allow build up of pressure and the coolant will vaporize off.

Reply to
Sam

If this car has a sensor in the radiator, it probably needs one. They fail from time to time. The coolant bottles with sensors in them seem to be extremely sensitive to slightly low coolant.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote

Hey, hyundaitech....can you please quote the relevant parts of the post that you are replying to? This will help people who are following the thread understand better what you are replying to. Thanks.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Sorry, I'm new and I haven't found the quote feature. Can you help? I've found nothing in FAQ. Once I find it, I'm sure I'll be able to top post well. :)

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote

I'm not sure what newsreader you are using. I use Outlook Express, so I would be familiar with that. Guys...anyone who's smarter with the mail readers...etc....give hyundaitech a hand.

If you know what newsreader you use, post back and let us know and I'm sure someone can help you.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I just go to the page using Internet Exploder.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote

Can't help you then, as I'm not familiar with how that works. You might want to try to access the newgroups through your main e-mail reader, unless all you have is web based hotmail.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

definitly intake gaskets

Reply to
<lightsout

I here that with today's engines an airbubble actually gets caught in the cooling system and its difficult to remove -- in the old days - when changing coolant we would run heater which opens up all valves to circulate - (no one has been able to tell me how to remove air bubble in todays engines - did they forget or never try the "old" way - dont know)

might try it - i have 99 GrandAm - had same trouble and after the "old" way- light never came on again

Also- on my GrandAm (99 3.4L) i dont have overflow tank -- its all part of main coolant system -- it does look like an overflow tank tho

-- so are u absolutely sure yours has 1 ? I find it hard to believe that they changed back to overflow system - on the cap it does give u the standard "DONT OPEN HOT" warning - and there's also no other way to filll radiator FYI - Pontiac recalled 3.8 engines for coolant system trouble -- so i hear - to replace faulty part the smaller engines have the same problem as 3.8 but havent been recalled officially- but they also leak coolant after about 4 yrs/

30,000-- and the coolant has to go somewhere so it starts to leak by he manifold

I "hear" its the Coolant -- it starts to change chemically - so dont wait the 5 years/ 150,000 miles to change it - GM dealers have been given the heads up - but they're staying quiet about it (probably GM doesnt want to recall many vehicles)

what i did was Pick the middle of the "overflow" tank - where the seam is - use that as a reference point - and fill to that seam -- then watch it -- if u see level decrease -- u may have the problem. and u wont find evidence of leak cause its slow and leaks on block which evaporates it

This is >definitly intake gaskets

Reply to
Havertown_99_deletethispart

Reply to
<lightsout

I had exactly the same thing happen to my '02 GP and a regular here mentioned that it's probably the rad sensor IF the rad is full and the cap doesn't look gunked up.

I changed the sensor and all is well.

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S