Low oil pressure gauge

Hello,

Maybe someone can help... I have a 94 Pontiac Bonneville (3.8 liter V-6). Oil pressure is down to almost zero with the "check" gauges alarm sounding off. I had a mechanic look at it and did his diagnostics. After an oil change and measuring with a manual gauge there is hardly no pressure. I know there are many causes, but can someone please enlighten me on the most common ones??

Thank you,

Boss

Reply to
Boss

Hello Boss, Mike De Vito Here, and I had an 72 pontiac with the same problem, and here=92s why, ----ever notice with your garden hose when you make the stream of water at the nossle very thin, the water comes out harder?-------same in all engines-------as the engine runs, oil is pushed everywhere up and down cylinder walls and thru all of the bearings, the bearing clearences are 100 thousand of an in. so the oil is pushed thru them harder---and that makes oil pressure----as the engine gets milage 50---1000 thousand miles, those clearences get wider,----say to----200 thousands of an in.---so the oil passes much faster----and that reduces oil pressure, your problem is simply wear in the main bearings of the engine, check with your shop on maybe a thicker oil,----but a thin oil in the winter Mike De Vito.

Reply to
Michael C De Vito

100 thousandths of an inch is one tenth (1/10) of an inch, 200 thousandths is damn near a quarter of an inch.

Do you -really- think his bearing clearances are that wide?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Hey, webTV, he probably measures reality with a TV.

Reply to
FBR