MAP sensor question

I have a Bonneville 3.8 L (SSEi model), there is a screen in front of the MAP sensor position in the throttle body held by a large "C-clip". This screen is made out of aluminum with holes pattern like honey comb. A friend told me to remove it to allow better air flow. I had 1992 with 3.8 L engine (similar setup but without supercharge), there was no screen there and engine is still running fine. I would like to know if I should remove this screen on my car now and what impact does it have to MAP sensor reading or computer if any?

Reply to
newsgroup

you will find no advantage in removing the screen but stand a good chance of ruining the sensor. air flow is more than adequate as is....... trust me.

Reply to
DA .

That is not the MAP sensor, it is the MAF sensor. The screen you describe is there to straighten the airflow thru the MAF sensor so that it can get make an accurate reading. Removing it will probably do more harm than good.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Your friend needs to be slapped with a lead weighted tuna. That screen helps stabilize the airflow coming into the engine, so that the Mass Airflow sensor can tell the engine how much air is coming is, as well as the temperature of the air. It is an important sensor for the computer, the computer that runs your entire engine.

Reply to
clevere

Thanks everyone foe the comment. I would like to understand a bit more so bare with me for few more questions. So the screen help to remove air turbulence just for MAF sensor, would it be better to make the sensor with a smaller screen similar to that screen just to cover 2 perhaps 3 times the sensor dimension? If the sensor reading eratic due to air turbulence, what impact does it has to engine control system? Idling problem or something else?

Reply to
newsgroup

I have found this link that talk about this screen.

newsgroup

The impact is; air flow will not be measured correctly, the engine will be over fueled or under fueled, either situation is not good.

There are numerous components that you can remove to increase airflow thru the throttle body, non of this means that the engine itself will actually realize an increase in airflow and most things that you might be able to remove in order to increase airflow are apt to have negative consequences.

Go to a drag strip, make some baseline passes with the screen in place, remove the screen, make the same number of passes as you did for your baseline, average the ETs for the two groups of runs and then compare them. I doubt there will be significant improvement.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Interesting post. I discovered about a year ago my car was missing the screen in the TB. Saw a picture of it in the service manual, but don't recall seeing it on the car when I removed the big rubber hose for cleaning & WD 40 treatment..Sure enough the screen was not there.

Some mechanic must of removed it & forgot to re install it. In 93 Pontiac put a new IAC in under warranty - maybe the screen was removed at that time.

You got to watch people like a hawk!

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~286,095 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face