My Bonneville is Possessed!!

I have a 1996 Bonneville SSE - and it is doing a weird thing - when I accelerate SLOWLY, esp going uphill, and hit between 49-52mph the car starts bucking and chugging. If I get to 49 quickly, and just zoom past 52 at the same rate - no bucking and chugging -- I have brand new plugs and wires, the fuel pressure is fine, the fuel filter is fine. One board had a similar problem reported on it and they reccommended a catalytic converter change - about a $900 job in my neck of the woods....any other things I can check first ?????? Help! Thanks much.

Reply to
BonnieGal

disconnect battery for 10 minutes so the computer can reset. afterwords, drive car so computer can relearn system again.

Reply to
Mike

Are there any codes stored in the PCM related to the transmission? When the car is bucking, is the tachometer oscillating at a rapid rate? The problem could be TCC, or transmission valve body related.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

The tach stays rock steady during the bucking - re your other questions - I am not a mechanic, so you'll have to decode the rest of what you asked me for this non-mechanically minded redhead. :-) Thanks!

Reply to
BonnieGal

The tach stays rock steady during the bucking - re your other questions - I am not a mechanic, so you'll have to decode the rest of what you asked me for this non-mechanically minded redhead. :-) Thanks!

Reply to
BonnieGal

Your TCC (torque converter clutch) is probably slipping. In GM cars, it feels almost exactly like a misfire. The good news is that if you can stand on the gas and all is normal, you don't need a catalytic converter. The bad news is that you probably need a valve body.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I took the car to my mechanic and he did the following - tested the EGR tested the Torque Converter made sure the sparks and coils were OK

everything tested out with no problems, but my car is still having the problem -- what now ?? I am at my wit's end.

Reply to
BonnieGal

Well at least it isn't RE-possessed.

It does sound like an exhaust problem like the cat although if you go to the righ muffler shop with an after market cat you can get that work done for about $275 - $350 (not $900).

Reply to
Aaron