My car hates water

My 1988 Pontiac 6000 (2.5) is having yet another dilema. It hates water, every time it rains, water gets in the car all over the place. Through the windshield and through the doors. We've tried sealing it, calking it, new stripping, and so on. While they fix some leaks, new ones are created and the fixes are only temporary. Now it's gotten more severe. I washed my car today in our driveway and I heard a tinkling noise as if something were filling up with water. I bet you can't guess what it was. My driver's side rear door is filling up with water. (The car is a 4-door) How quickly will the door detiorate, and would it be wise or would it be a mistake to drill holes at the bottom of the door for the water to escape? The only thing still left on this car that's good is the body, and I'm worried that this will now take the last good thing left on the car. While I know it's kind of general, any estimates on how much it would cost to fix the leak? I know it's not a lot of information, but any clues on where the water could be coming from? I don't think the water is escaping, although a little bit of water was on the floor of the car in that seat too. Even later this evening when I checked the door, I heard a slushing sound from the door. Thanks.

Reply to
Travis King

Never mind, I looked really close at the door and found a hole that I guess must have already been drilled, (as it was a perfect circle and not a hole where rust ate through as there aren't any on my car that I know of.) and it was just clogged. As soon as I got all the gunk out of there with a small screwdriver, all the water came flowing out.

Reply to
Travis King

I love the term "my car is having another dilema".

Reply to
Jan

Sounds like you didn't caulk the area the water is leaking in at. Might be buried in the cowl area somewhere. Perhaps the firewall, door jamb area's are rusted out?

Is there much pressure applied to the door openings [ from the weatherstrips ] when the doors are closed?

Good luck.

Harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

There's not very much rust on the car. There are a few little spots, but they're down low, (and the only way to see them is to open the door.) not at the top, which is where all the leaks are coming from. All the leaks that I see anyway are ones at the top or towards the drop dripping down, mainly on the edges of the doors and one right in the middle at the very top along the edging of the windshield. That leak was actually fixed for a while, but it came back. Similarly, the middle of the back window always has a little water drop at the roof along the top edge of the rear window in the dead center. If I remember, next time it rains, I'll take pictures of spots that you can see the little droplets of water. It gets wet enough inside that the car always smells bad after a rain, and I've got to keep the windows open to air it out.

Reply to
Travis King

If the water is leaking at the top of the window frame between the weatherstrip and the door jamb check to make sure the rubber & mating surface are smooth. Check to see there are no fine lines in the rubber that water could seep down - even new rubber might have some left over residue from manufacturing.

Next test is the water hose test. Have a friend sit inside while you hold a slow running hose over the suspected area that leaks. If your friend is getting dripped on press in on the door glass to put extra pressure on the window frame. If the drip stops then the top of the window frame might be sprung outward a bit from general old age, former drivers leaning on the door frame too hard, or an old accident ?

Try opening the window all the way, open the door and put a block of wood in the door opening to prevent it from closing then push on the top of the window frame to spring it inward, chances are this will cure the water leak.

Are there any air leaks in that area of the door as you drive down the highway? If there are then chances are the window frame is sprung out ward

Good luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face