Need help on a rack and pinion stearing problem

While it's not a Pontiac, it's similar to the Pontiac 6000 model. I have a

1990 Chevy Celebrity station wagon that has a power stearing leak. I've isolated the leak to two things. The pump high-pressure hose is bad (squirting here and there, and everywhere), and the driver side boot is also leaking fluid. Should that boot be leaking fluid, or is it just a dust cover? If it shouldn't be leaking fluid, does this mean the internal power stearing gear assembly has a bad seal.

I noticed they have a crossover tube between the right and left boots. Is this to allow fluid to transfer from one to the other? If so, then it sounds like it's normal for the boots to contain fluid.

Thanks, Don

Reply to
Don

You will need to replace the rack assembly and the high pressure hose. Simple as that.

That crossover tube is not for fluid, but to transfer air between the two boot cavities as you turn left or right. There should be no fluid in the boot area, other then a very minor amount of assembly grease, but you would not be able to see that from the outside.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai