New Car Order, Q on changing color

Hi all,

I've been holding out for a Solstice since they were first announced, and last week the local dealership told me that a guy that had ordered one had backed out, so it's mine if I want it. Yippee!

Here's the thing. The guy originally ordered it in red, with an ebony interior. That would have been last on my list of choices (except maybe for white or silver), so I was hoping to change it to blue or green, with the ebony/sand interior.

The dealer responded that it would be almost impossible to change anything at this point, and if they could then it might delay the delivery of the car for weeks, even months.

The thing that I don't understand is that the build date (according to the dealer) isn't until January 14, so why would this change the delivery date? If they haven't actually built it yet, then isn't it just a matter of changing the words on the purchase order?

So what do you think, is the dealer being honest with me and I'm going to have to live with red and black, or is he just not wanting to go the extra mile for me?

TIA,

Jason

PS, the TPW date is January 23, but I have no idea what that means.

Reply to
Jason

Jason, the auto industry uses an inventory system called "Just In Time" (J.I.T.) and it is my understanding that orders are sequenced on a first in, first out basis. So if the purchaser of any given car in the sequence requests changes to the order after the car has been sequenced, it's my understanding that the car has to be removed completely from the sequence and reordered. The revised order is placed at the end of the sequence as a brand new order. I'm pretty sure that's how it works Jason.

Reply to
Cool Jet

I posted this same response earlier, but it hasn't appeared yet in my browser. I'll repost, in case it fell into a black hole. My apologies if it appears twice in anyone's browser.

Jason, the auto industry uses an inventory system called "Just In Time" (J.I.T.) and it is my understanding that orders are sequenced on a first in, first out basis. So if the purchaser of any given car in the sequence requests changes to the order after the car has been sequenced, it's my understanding that the car has to be removed completely from the sequence and reordered. The revised order is placed at the end of the sequence as a brand new order. I'm pretty sure that's how it works Jason.

Reply to
Cool Jet

Reply to
Mike Levy

Thanks for the replies. Definitely NOT what I wanted to hear, but it's nice to know that the salesman isn't pulling my chain.

Good news today, though, a guy that ordered a black one with two-tone interior has backed out, so if I can get the $$$ in time, I'll grab that one instead.

Jason

Sorry if I reply twice, Google had a Server Error and didn't save my reply.

Thank for all of the replies. Definitely NOT what I wanted to hear, but it's nice to know that the salesman isn't pulling my chain.

Good news today, though. A guy that ordered a black one with two-tone interior has backed out, so I can get that one instead if I can get the $$$ quickly enough. The package is identical to the red one, the only thing different is the color.

Mike Levy wrote:

Reply to
Jason

Good luck! We're looking at cars, and while a convertible really isn't on the list, boy is the Solstice a gorgeous, gorgeous car - especially in black.

Reply to
REP